Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do you parse NCI line using opinfo?

A NCI file has the following lines:

0. 0. 0. 0. 0. 0. 0. 0. 0. 0.
3000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

These are transform operation's custom parameters, where 3000 is the value of trans_mi1$ (or actually in case of nested transform, it is not, thus my attempt at opinfo)

The following code outputs the following string Test:3000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

stest         : ""

pheader$         #Call before start of file
      stest = opinfo(1032, 0)
      "Test:", *stest, e$

However, I don't know how to capture the "3000" part of the NCI line; if I change the code to

test         : 0

pheader$         #Call before start of file
      test = opinfo(1032, 0)
      "Test:", *test, e$

the result is always 0 or -99999, no matter what I enter into the second and third parameter.

How Do I Use Opinfo Correctly?

Just so you are aware, this is not an ideal use for opinfo.  When you tell opinfo to query an NCI line it searches the NCI file that’s on disc.

I’m almost positive you can get the value you are looking from a traditional parameter in memory, have you done a parameter dump?

Using opinfo on an NCI line should only be done if the data isn’t available in memory.

15 minutes ago, Zaffin_D said:

Just so you are aware, this is not an ideal use for opinfo.  When you tell opinfo to query an NCI line it searches the NCI file that’s on disc.

I’m almost positive you can get the value you are looking from a traditional parameter in memory, have you done a parameter dump?

Using opinfo on an NCI line should only be done if the data isn’t available in memory.

Hi,

This hack is due to this problem

Program numbers are not written at all to NCI for transform operations, so I have to use a transform operations's misc integer. Furthermore, trans_mi$ does not contain the "latest" mi-value in case of nested operation. If you know a better way, I am all ears 🙃

31 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Hi,

This hack is due to this problem

Program numbers are not written at all to NCI for transform operations, so I have to use a transform operations's misc integer. Furthermore, trans_mi$ does not contain the "latest" mi-value in case of nested operation. If you know a better way, I am all ears 🙃

Are you sure the values aren't written to the NCI? There is a switch inside the Control Definition, that controls which parameters; Original Op or Transform or Both, that actually get written. Is that switch set to "Transform" or "Both"?

I'm honestly not sure either way, but I do know that switch exists in the CD.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Are you sure the values aren't written to the NCI? There is a switch inside the Control Definition, that controls which parameters; Original Op or Transform or Both, that actually get written. Is that switch set to "Transform" or "Both"?

I'm honestly not sure either way, but I do know that switch exists in the CD.

No, I'm not sure. Didn't even think about the existence of such a switch. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, thank you for this tip!

Check on the "Files" page. This actual "Parameter Setting" (Radio Button) would be a zero-based index. Meaning "Option 1 = 0", Option 2 = 1, and Option 3 = 2.

I think you either want "Option 1" (Parameter output as "0", for the 1st option in the list), or "Option 3" (Both) [Option 3 would output as "2" for this parameter, being the 3rd item in the list.]

Technically, you won't be querying the value of the Radio Button. All you really care about is "are my Transform Operation Misc Values being written to the NCI File"?

Transform Source Parameter Settings - CD.PNG

I did some testing and it seems no matter what's selected in the abovementioned setting, the program number of a transform operation that uses another transform operation as source does not have its program number written to NCI. So in this case program number seems to be kind of a special case.

In 4 axis work it's common that I use the same source operations for different tombstones and the fixture positions may wary as well, so there is no avoiding nested transforms, unless you love useless extra repetitive work. G54.2 would be a huge help, so maybe I'll get it one day.

• 1 year later...

sorry to bump an old thread.

were you ever able to find success with this? I am having some trouble with it myself. I have some nested transforms I am working with and I need the value of trans_mi1$ from the top most transform operation. unfortunately it seems as though the value of trans__mi1$ from the nested transform is being used. I tried experimenting with the settings in the control definition from Colin's post above and got the same result regardless of the setting in the control def.