Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fixing Broken Lines Or Connection Of Open Points

CNC_Newbie

What is the easiest way to draw a line between or join 2 points of a broken line. 

The model I am using has many bad parts where the lines are broken. i need to fix this.  

You can not see the broken lines unless you zoom all the way in and even then you can zoom to fill the screen and see exactly what is going on. 

78E87D91-9F7D-4F9E-B62D-578C31CD597D.jpeg

Analyze one of the lines (F4 key). The "start point" will be green, and the "end point" will be red.

Below the "start point" and "endpoint" XYZ boxes, there is a [ + ] Button. Click it, and you'll be "in the graphics view", and can visually move the endpoint, until your Auto-cursor picks up the "endpoint" of the other line.

Press the Green Check Mark to accept the changes.

This will only really work, if you've actually got "line" entities. If your geometry is a "Spline", you're better off using Curve Ribbon > Manual Spline Drop-Down > Spline Blended.

You click on the 1st spline, and move the "arrow endpoint" back a bit from the end. Then you click on the 2nd spline, and move the "arrow endpoint" forward a bit on the chain. When you click to place the 2nd point (on the 2nd spline), Mastercam will trim both curves, and connect them with a smooth spline which "blends" between both of the curves.

-------

Tom, you up for a "Live Session" tomorrow afternoon?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, CNC_Newbie said:

I would make time for a Live  Session with you!   :)

Tomorrow. (Sunday)

I looked at the weather report with my wife. High 70's today, with more like 55 degrees and cloudy on Sunday.

It is pretty rare for us to get good weather, and to have my wife feeling well enough to enjoy it. So today is a blessing, and we'll make plans to clean house and do some YouTube Live training tomorrow instead.

Hope you have a great Saturday, and I'll shoot for 2:00 pm or 3:00 pm on Sunday. 

Thanks guys!

On 4/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Analyze one of the lines (F4 key). The "start point" will be green, and the "end point" will be red.

Below the "start point" and "endpoint" XYZ boxes, there is a [ + ] Button. Click it, and you'll be "in the graphics view", and can visually move the endpoint, until your Auto-cursor picks up the "endpoint" of the other line.

Press the Green Check Mark to accept the changes.

This will only really work, if you've actually got "line" entities. If your geometry is a "Spline", you're better off using Curve Ribbon > Manual Spline Drop-Down > Spline Blended.

You click on the 1st spline, and move the "arrow endpoint" back a bit from the end. Then you click on the 2nd spline, and move the "arrow endpoint" forward a bit on the chain. When you click to place the 2nd point (on the 2nd spline), Mastercam will trim both curves, and connect them with a smooth spline which "blends" between both of the curves.

--

Colin you explained both methods perfect. I set up both examples at home one with lines and one with splines. Both worked well. At work,  I was hoping there would be a way to click a point draw a line to the next point and click that to connect the two points, then to be able to go in and delete or add points along line where I want them.  For example if I want to create a Tool Axis control line on a surface (curve 5 axis)  it would be helpful to add points/ line end points (other than mid points) where I want them. I am sure there is a simple way, and I am sure you will teach us. :)

1 hour ago, CNC_Newbie said:

Colin you explained both methods perfect. I set up both examples at home one with lines and one with splines. Both worked well. At work,  I was hoping there would be a way to click a point draw a line to the next point and click that to connect the two points, then to be able to go in and delete or add points along line where I want them.  For example if I want to create a Tool Axis control line on a surface (curve 5 axis)  it would be helpful to add points/ line end points (other than mid points) where I want them. I am sure there is a simple way, and I am sure you will teach us. :)

Point Dynamic. Make sure you are in 3D mode if the wireframe is not planar.

• Thanks 1