Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

11th Gen Intel Processors

PNW_MFG

My shop was willing to pull the trigger on a new PC for me back in December, but we opted to wait until the 11th Gen Intel CPUs were released and I must say, I am not disappointed so far. I ran the Mastercam Benchmark 3.0 file and got a time of 2:26. In comparison, my old PC did the benchmark file in 4:58, so significant improvement. New build as followed:

CPU - Intel i7-11700K

Mobo - Asus ROG Maximus XIII HERO

RAM - G-Skills Ripjaws 64GB DDR4-3200

SSD - Samsung 980 Pro 250gb M.2 NVME

GPU - PNY Quadro RTX4000

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I would go with a 128Gb or 256gb with that rig.

I only needed enough space for mastercam, camplete, and a couple other small programs. Everything else we have is stored on our shops servers. And, we had this SSD just laying around already.

52 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

That is an impressive time, maybe the best ever?

I knew it was a good time when it happened, but I am not sure where it stacks up overall.

15 minutes ago, PNW_MFG said:

I only needed enough space for mastercam, camplete, and a couple other small programs. Everything else we have is stored on our shops servers. And, we had this SSD just laying around already.

I knew it was a good time when it happened, but I am not sure where it stacks up overall.

I was talking about memory not SSD. I just got a 980 Pro 2TB M.2 SSD for my Laptop to replace the 970 Pro 1TB running out of room. It will go into the 4th slot on the Laptop as backup memory space along with the 2 other SSD drives.

2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I was talking about memory not SSD. I just got a 980 Pro 2TB M.2 SSD for my Laptop to replace the 970 Pro 1TB running out of room. It will go into the 4th slot on the Laptop as backup memory space along with the 2 other SSD drives.

Ah, I misunderstood. We debated on amount of RAM for a long time. We went with a 2x32gb setup for now so we can expand in the future if we decide it is necessary. 

My new laptop gets here around May 10th or so... The specs are below;

Dell Precision 7750
Intel® Core™ i9-10885H @ 5.3GHz
64GB DDR4 2933Mhz RAM (with room for up to 128GB)
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 w/8GB GDDR6
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD @ 1TB

I elected to stay with Dell as I have had very good luck with them so far. This will be my 5th Dell Laptop. I  NEED that next day onsite Pro Support since I travel so much and anything can happen anywhere and I can't afford to be without my rig for longer than a day so that ruled out a few other very good laptop builders right out of the gate.

I did consider a jump up to 128GB, but I'm trying to save the company some money and RAM hasn't been my bottleneck since jumping to 64GB, so it was a safe move. Worst case, I can add an additional 64GB should I need it in very short order so I think it was the wisest choice for me.

I went with the Quadro RTX 4000 as opposed to the RTX 5000 also (again, to save some money). I'm currently running the M5000M 8GB with ZERO video performance issues. Since running Quadro cards, video performance hasn't been an issue at all. This shouldn't be any different.

JM2CFWIW

35 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

My new laptop gets here around May 10th or so... The specs are below;

Dell Precision 7750
Intel® Core™ i9-10885H @ 5.3GHz
64GB DDR4 2933Mhz RAM (with room for up to 128GB)
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 w/8GB GDDR6
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD @ 1TB

Are you not happy with the Xeon??? any issues??? I thought that's what you want for CAD/CAM??

1 hour ago, FROZEN said:

Are you not happy with the Xeon??? any issues??? I thought that's what you want for CAD/CAM??

No, I'm not particularly happy with the Xeon. No "issues" other than it's not as fast as one would expect or hope. For all it's added cost, it's just not worth it. Xeon might be great for other other things, but CAM (at least Mastercam, PowerMill, Inventor HSM, and Fusion360 - which are what I use on a regular basis) it isn't as good for what we do.

There's a thread here in eMastercam somewhere that explains why Intel® Core™ iX perform better but I can't seem to locate it.

• Like 1

I'm pretty jealous of your rigs guys!

Mine is 5 years old now (Xeon E5-1650 oc4.2/32Go/K4200/SSD) and it crunches benchmark3 in 4'03... fortunately our parts are usuallly medium size without complex surface features. However I'd like a new one to speed up things like GUI latency sometimes. 

8 hours ago, David Colin said:

I'm pretty jealous of your rigs guys!

Mine is 5 years old now (Xeon E5-1650 oc4.2/32Go/K4200/SSD) and it crunches benchmark3 in 4'03... fortunately our parts are usuallly medium size without complex surface features. However I'd like a new one to speed up things like GUI latency sometimes. 

My previous rig had a Xeon 4112 and wx7100. It was good for your basic 3 axis parts, but once I started working on more complex multiaxis parts it just fell too short.