Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MILL TURN 3D TOOLS -HOW TO USE MULTIPLE INSERT NOSE RADIUS" IWTH 1 TOOL

Hello, I can import a 3D tool and whatever insert that comes with it that the company loads into it from their model, however 2021 gives you the option to load multiple inserts into the tool's library so you can have 1 holder, but then decide which radius insert you want for that turning tool, or  perhaps which insert you want, non ferrous or ferrous material.  How do you load the 2nd, third inserts and there after ?  Do you need to have a copy of the toolholder with the other insert mated and redo the entire process of describing the tool and insert ? 

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, Ryeguyz said:

Hello, I can import a 3D tool and whatever insert that comes with it that the company loads into it from their model, however 2021 gives you the option to load multiple inserts into the tool's library so you can have 1 holder, but then decide which radius insert you want for that turning tool, or  perhaps which insert you want, non ferrous or ferrous material.  How do you load the 2nd, third inserts and there after ?  Do you need to have a copy of the toolholder with the other insert mated and redo the entire process of describing the tool and insert ? 

Capture.PNG

That is for Multi-station tools not for different insert for the same tool. You that worried about different inserts then you can build tools for each of them, but the idea is multi station tools not more inserts for one tool.

Hi, I am not referring to multi station tools, yes they've added that feature,  I'm talking about single insert holders, but you can have muiltiple inserts within the tools file, to pick and choose from. Here is some instructions, but they don't tell you if you need to mate the 2nd insert to the holder.

https://cimquest-inc.com/3d-lathe-tool-enhancements-in-mastercam-2021/

That is where you do like I said you have a holder as a file and the inserts as separate files. Then when you build you tools you do like I said you build the different tools with the holder and then grabbing the inserts. Those instructions walk through the exact process just follow it and you're good to go.

See here once defined you have inserts for a holder to pick from.

3DLathe9.png

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ryeguyz said:

Hi, I am not referring to multi station tools, yes they've added that feature,  I'm talking about single insert holders, but you can have muiltiple inserts within the tools file, to pick and choose from. Here is some instructions, but they don't tell you if you need to mate the 2nd insert to the holder.

https://cimquest-inc.com/3d-lathe-tool-enhancements-in-mastercam-2021/

You don't really need to bring in a new insert to then mate, you can just duplicate the insert and edit paramaters for the 'new' insert.

image.png.a53034d2d7d85dc65ae95013c88db6f0.png

image.png.4a938721006c0761b5015b9edeecf7c0.png

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

You don't really need to bring in a new insert to then mate, you can just duplicate the insert and edit paramaters for the 'new' insert.

image.png.a53034d2d7d85dc65ae95013c88db6f0.png

image.png.4a938721006c0761b5015b9edeecf7c0.png

If you copy the insert, can you change the nose radius just by typing in a different nose radius under where it says stainless steel in your example ? If not, how do you select the nose radius and select insert length if you don't have the smaller radius model insert in your tool build ?  Thanks

2 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Yes the nose radius can be changed. There won't be length change as the intersection point of the 2 edges will be the same, only the radius changes.

Ok Great.  Curious, would you put the offset number different from the other insert or keep it the same as the other inserts ?  You would want to re-measure your tool anyway with an insert change especially with a drastic radius change.

1 hour ago, Ryeguyz said:

Ok Great.  Curious, would you put the offset number different from the other insert or keep it the same as the other inserts ?  You would want to re-measure your tool anyway with an insert change especially with a drastic radius change.

This, I think, will depend on the operator/setup guy/ general shop practice or policy.

For my finish turning tool I will have 2 offsets with the same X and Z but with .0005" difference in wear offset so that I can run a de-burr operation without

scraping the Finished OD/ID if I need to.

• Like 1