Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TILT HOLDER AVOIDANCE

TheePres

Hello all,

Was hoping someone could help me understand the automatic tilt for holder avoidance feature.

During a parallel toolpath with a single pass everything looks great, but if I have multiple passes the initial passes seem to tilt over quite a bit more than required.

What setting am i missing to have tool tilt only as required to avoid the .050" tool holder clearance?

I have attached sample file in case one of you has a chance to take a look.

TIA.

HOLDER-AVOIDANCE.mcam

On 4/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, TheePres said:

Hello all,

Was hoping someone could help me understand the automatic tilt for holder avoidance feature.

During a parallel toolpath with a single pass everything looks great, but if I have multiple passes the initial passes seem to tilt over quite a bit more than required.

What setting am i missing to have tool tilt only as required to avoid the .050" tool holder clearance?

I have attached sample file in case one of you has a chance to take a look.

TIA.

HOLDER-AVOIDANCE.mcam

Problems I see. I will preface this with my ways are self taught and through many trails and errors. My way is not the right way it is the way I have come up with to accomplish the task at hand. 🤯

#1 I only use check Surfaces for Tilt not drive surfaces. I see you thinking there and again I am only going off my experiences using Mastercam. I want drive to be treated one way and clearance and checks surfaces treated another. By always following this discipline of a process it keeps my thinking that way. I start muddying the water by using drive to check or clearance in some toolpaths and not other then I add another thing in my brain to remember and hard enough remembering my name most days. 🤔

#2 I also check the Shank, Shoulder when using Tilt like you are using it.

#3 I turn off extend to infinity.

It looked like it was going to cut correctly when I opened the file. I am confused as to what the real issue is here. Can you explain in better detail with some screen shots what is not to your liking? I changed the 87.5 to 80 to get the same tilt angle from start to finish and then in the tight corners we get avoidance where needed and have 10 degree tilt the other places to keep the bottom of the tool at at least a 10 degree angle to the bottom surface to get always from the tip and zero surface speed issue. Your finishing on the part is going to be 10 times better doing it that was verses on the 2.5 degree you were giving it. The other issue is Multipass will only do so much so keep that in mind as it gets further out the radius will disappear and can give you some violent angle changes. I would make a trimmed surface of the floor and drive my toolpath that way, but not a bad way you have accomplished the task at hand. Want to test my theory put a 10 degree angular clearance and turn on the vectors in back plot and make them 10" long everywhere they are self intersection that is where your HEAD on a HEAD HEAD machine has to go or that is where your TABLE has to go on a TABLE-TABLE machine.

• Like 1

Thanks  Ron for looking at my file.

I believe I ended up at 12.5 degree and turned off holder collision to get to the end result so i could send it. 

I was having an OCD moment with this on Friday and was adamant on getting holder collision auto tilt to work as expected even at the 2.5 degree that sample file was set at, which was to tilt only enough as required to avoid hitting walls. But instead what i was seeing was extreme tilt over at initial passes where it was furthest away from the walls and minimal tilt was required. Ill revisit this later today and experiment with some of the suggestions you mention.

Thanks Again