Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Getting accurate chip load in feed per minute with radial live tooling feeding in X

Title says it all.  So feeding in X (diameter), if you want say a .010 chip load @ 1000 rpm feeding in X, but are programming in G94, what would the G94 feedrate be?  F10. or F20. because it is only moving half the distance?  Or does the machine compensate for this?

That is today's mind bender.  I have a customer that is struggling with a finish bore on a half round (think fish mouthed tube).  I can almost guarantee he is still underfeeding it, so he is just rubbing his inserts to death, hence why he gets whitness marks after only a few parts.

So when you had them double it what were the results? When in doubt give it a shot. Had to change some 22.5 imp feed rates to 4 imp because the old beast cannot cut very accurate on small arcs moves. I thought I was doing them a favor not calling out 40 different boring bars since they were all +/-.01 holes, but no so.

36 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Title says it all.  So feeding in X (diameter), if you want say a .010 chip load @ 1000 rpm feeding in X, but are programming in G94, what would the G94 feedrate be?  F10. or F20. because it is only moving half the distance?  Or does the machine compensate for this?

That is today's mind bender.  I have a customer that is struggling with a finish bore on a half round (think fish mouthed tube).  I can almost guarantee he is still underfeeding it, so he is just rubbing his inserts to death, hence why he gets whitness marks after only a few parts.

Change the feed to G95, feed the tool .01 x number of flutes and look at the feed rate on the screen.

18 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

So when you had them double it what were the results?

Well I'm not down there anymore so, I'm just in an advisement role to our guys that can drop in on site.  So I don't know.  I guess at this point this is more for my knowledge than anything at this point.

6 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

Change the feed to G95, feed the tool .01 x number of flutes and look at the feed rate on the screen.

I think the simplest way would be to just time the cut and see if it makes sense.  They are currently going F1.0  so it should take whatever the diameter is in minutes or double that.

1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Well I'm not down there anymore so, I'm just in an advisement role to our guys that can drop in on site.  So I don't know.  I guess at this point this is more for my knowledge than anything at this point.

I think the simplest way would be to just time the cut and see if it makes sense.  They are currently going F1.0  so it should take whatever the diameter is in minutes or double that.

I was going to suggest programming a known distance at a known feed rate and time it, but you beat me to it