Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant Washdown - Not MC related

JB7280

We want to put an external washdown pump on our H.Plus-500 mill.  Matsuura quoted a pretty crazy amount for their washdown install.  Don't get me wrong, it's pretty slick, but also $$.  I originally thought of T-ing into the coolant pumps and adding a shutoff ball valve, but without some control modification, you can't turn coolant on while the door is open, and I don't want the risk of something forgetting to open the ball valve back up before running the machine.

So my question involves searching for a pump.   What should I look for?  I want to know I'll have enough pressure/volume to be able to knock chips out of corners all the way on the other side of the machine, which is a pretty big work area.  Any suggestions?

Is there a cutout/cover/half shear in the tank to add another pump?

If so, is it the same size and adjacent to another pump that has a lot of power (M08 example)?

If yes, i'd duplicate that pump as the pressure/flow/frame size and also the depth of the pump, will be suitable for your tank.

The plate on the side should say make/model/frame size/flow etc - then either duplicate it exactly or search a known manufacturer with the same technical details.

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Is there a cutout/cover/half shear in the tank to add another pump?

If so, is it the same size and adjacent to another pump that has a lot of power (M08 example)?

If yes, i'd duplicate that pump as the pressure/flow/frame size and also the depth of the pump, will be suitable for your tank.

The plate on the side should say make/model/frame size/flow etc - then either duplicate it exactly or search a known manufacturer with the same technical details.

I didn't see one, however, a good portion of our tank extends beyond the machine, with just sheetmetal top, so it could easily be cut for another.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, Leon82 said:

One of those big grunfos pumps. Sometimes the m8 pump is smaller

True - but the fact that OP wanted the pump to run with doors open, I assumed he's talking wash gun, so I would have thought a M08 pump would be more than adequate.

If he's talking of rigging up a wash down washdown system...then bigger is best IME.

15 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

True - but the fact that OP wanted the pump to run with doors open, I assumed he's talking wash gun, so I would have thought a M08 pump would be more than adequate.

If he's talking of rigging up a wash down washdown system...then bigger is best IME.

Sorry, poor wording on my part.  The machine already has a very adequate system of washdown jets.  I am in fact looking for a pump for a spray gun.  My only concern is having enough pressure to be able to blast piled up, large feed mill chips, and long dynamic milling chips out of problem corners.  Especially where the other end of the work area is probably 8-10 feet away.  

8 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

A cheaper option could be adding a 'Y' connect to one of your pumps and running the spray gun from that. You can then turn it on or off at your pleasure.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but our machines will not allow us to activate the pumps with the machine door open.  Which would make a spray gun useless.

7 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Look to serrated edge HSM tooling. I have found this helps the lone stringy chips and is get for roughing even hard metals. Used them on Aluminum 10+ years ago and now they are making more options for Hard Metals and no loss in performance or tool life.

I use them when I'm able to.  I like the Helical "chipbreaker" endmills with alternating serrations that actually leave a decent finish.  The most recent part I've been working on, I calculated the material removal rate and saw 3x higher with a high feed mill.  However, our laser bracket collects those chips pretty badly.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2021 at 4:36 PM, JB7280 said:
On 4/29/2021 at 8:08 AM, AHarrison1 said:

A cheaper option could be adding a 'Y' connect to one of your pumps and running the spray gun from that. You can then turn it on or off at your pleasure.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but our machines will not allow us to activate the pumps with the machine door open.  Which would make a spray gun useless.

...hmmm, on our HAAS lathes and mills we can turn on the low pressure pump (m08) with the door open but not the high pressure one.

Anyway, just a suggestion.