Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Work from home

uncle_dolan

Hi everyone,

I know during Covid many of you may have had to adjust to different working arrangements like working from home.

I will be transitioning to WFH at the end of this year and am looking for any advice that can help me prepare for it. I am moving to a remote city due to family reasons and have agreed with the boss to stay on and work remotely. I will visit my workplace periodically, but primarily will be working from a home office.

Is there anything you have found particularly difficult/easy about working from home? Anything I should factor into my planning. Anything you would recommend I establish with my boss as part of the agreement? Thanks in advance for your help!

Uncle D

Nothing to it, high speed internet and VPN will be a must.

I've done it for about 3-4 years prior to joining dmgmori.

On a corporate level, an important thing would be to have a corporate CC/credit for air travel/car rental and hotel when traveling (or some reimbursement program).

Other than that, remember to get off the chair and take a walk or something. I remember initially taking my first break after 5-6 hrs of working and working late everyday.

Pace yourself and come up with some exercise schedule. 5 minute every hr works ))

And talk to people, don't be a hermit, lol...sitting in the office alone for a whole day can be challenging to some.

I still do that to some degree at my current gig and am loving it.

• Like 2

The single biggest thing I found when programming remotely is this...

Remember that you are not in the office, a few feet away from having someone come in and asking a question when something isn't quite clear.

Document and note things clearly, try to see where any question might arise and be clear in your instruction sets....

You might only be a phone call or email away but you no longer have "eyes on" anticipate problems try to work to avoid them ahead of time. 

• Like 3

i did it for most of the last year, keep a set routine, i kept my same hours getting up at same time too.

i set a printer at the office to use for set up sheets. make sure the operators have your # and tell them don't be afraid to text/call if there is any question.

i found one of the hardest was tooling, i can't go looking through the vending machine looking for the right tool, i do have one guy that was helpful checking for tools for me.

i didn't really like it at first but then didn't want to come back (been in office 2 weeks) the commute really sucks, driving 35 minutes compared to walking to the basement in my pj's

• Like 1
  • Haha 1