Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nesting Function in Toolpaths

jean

Yes.

We used Nesting pretty extensively when I was at Boeing.

We did both 'Geometry Nesting' (True-Shape), and 'Toolpath Nesting'.

I don't have a sample part for review unfortunately, because those files were all proprietary for Boeing.

For 'Toolpath Nesting', the idea is being able to program a part from both 'Top' and 'Bottom', and have those 'toolpaths' be tied together.

You can 'add a part' from an existing Mastercam File (programmed with toolpaths), and the Toolpath Operations are what get nested.

If you have any part files with Top/Bottom toolpaths, I'm sure you could contact your Reseller for a demo of the Nesting function, if it was a tool you were really interested in seeing.

This feature works really well for cutting things like "cabinet panels", where you have holes, pockets, dados, and other features on both sides of the panel.

As part of the Nesting function, you've got options for things like "Tool Sorting", where it will take 'all the paths on one side (top or bottom)', and group those paths together for efficiency. So you can run 'all the cuts for T2', before moving on to 'T3', and so forth.

25 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Yes.

We used Nesting pretty extensively when I was at Boeing.

We did both 'Geometry Nesting' (True-Shape), and 'Toolpath Nesting'.

I don't have a sample part for review unfortunately, because those files were all proprietary for Boeing.

For 'Toolpath Nesting', the idea is being able to program a part from both 'Top' and 'Bottom', and have those 'toolpaths' be tied together.

You can 'add a part' from an existing Mastercam File (programmed with toolpaths), and the Toolpath Operations are what get nested.

If you have any part files with Top/Bottom toolpaths, I'm sure you could contact your Reseller for a demo of the Nesting function, if it was a tool you were really interested in seeing.

This feature works really well for cutting things like "cabinet panels", where you have holes, pockets, dados, and other features on both sides of the panel.

As part of the Nesting function, you've got options for things like "Tool Sorting", where it will take 'all the paths on one side (top or bottom)', and group those paths together for efficiency. So you can run 'all the cuts for T2', before moving on to 'T3', and so forth.

Thanks again for the quick version, ill get ahold of reseller and go that direction... Thanks for your time.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
35 minutes ago, Ramez said:

After posting nesting contains top and bottom tool patches NC files gives us negative values despite the pre program parts are contains the tool path as per top and bottom planes 

could you please advise

Hi Ramez,

what are the exact values of the depth set in the operation and stock to leave, also are the tool planes correct,

there are a few possibilities,  but it's hard to say without more information

After posting nesting contains top and bottom tool patches NC files gives us negative values despite the pre program parts are contains the tool path as per top and bottom planes 

could you please advise

As I said all the pre program parts are designed on top and bottom planes as well as well as the pin holes also in bottom plane and then when I post the nesting  …. NC file gives me the bottom x values in negative values despite the pin holes in x values in positive values 

would you please tell me what are the possibilities for that also If I change the x values in NC file from negative to positive manually that works 

2 hours ago, Ramez said:

could you please advise

As I said all the pre program parts are designed on top and bottom planes as well as well as the pin holes also in bottom plane and then when I post the nesting  …. NC file gives me the bottom x values in negative values despite the pin holes in x values in positive values 

would you please tell me what are the possibilities for that also If I change the x values in NC file from negative to positive manually that works 

I believe that is the default post behavior, ensure you are set to the custom post provided by your reseller

The dms one I guess?

Hi byet

As I said all the pre program parts are designed on top and bottom planes as well as well as the pin holes also in bottom plane and then when I post the nesting  …. NC file gives me the bottom x values in negative values despite the pin holes in x values in positive values 

would you please tell me what are the possibilities for that also If I change the x values in NC file from negative to positivemanually that works