Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3BX THREAD CLASS

So not a Guru

7 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

I,m thinking the X is A typo or someone trying to be clever, I too cannot find any reference to 3BX only 3B

which is a tighter tolerance.

Yeah, I don't get it. Emuge, Walter & Sandvik all make them, but I can't find anything that defines it.

Zeke,

The 'X' designation simply means that the individual company has modified the actual 'tap dimensions', based on the particular material and 'type of tapping operation', in order to successfully generate a particular 'thread class'. This is designation is essentially the Tap Manufacturer saying "with this tool, in this specific material, we can produce a 3B class of fit for an internal thread". This comes up most often when tapping high-nickel materials,

I found some information in the following link:

https://www.walter-tools.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/downloads/global/manuals/en-us/handbook-prototyp-threading-us.pdf

Tolerance grades of taps and thread formers

Technical information – general

The tolerance grade of the internal thread produced depends not only on the tool dimensions, but also on the material and the machining conditions. In some cases, it is better to choose tolerances that deviate from the standard. This toleration is identified by the X placed after the tolerance class (e.g. 6HX instead of 6H).

Please note that these X grades vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, because they are based solely on company standards.

Taps, which are designed for tough materials, are produced by Walter Prototyp in X grades in order to counteract the resilient properties of the materials. At Walter Prototyp, this means increasing the dimensions for taps by half a tolerance grade.

The X∙pert M product range used for stainless steels is therefore designed in X grade.

Taps for high-tensile titanium and nickel alloys are measured in X grade for the same reason.

If abrasive materials such as grey cast iron are being machined and miscutting is not a problem, then it also advisable to produce the tools in X grade. The tool life is increased due to the tolerance in X grade, because it takes longer for the tool to become heavily worn. For example, the Paradur® Eco CI tap is produced in this tolerance grade for precisely this reason. Thread formers are produced in X grades, because the material rebounds stronger when forming threads than when cutting threads. The X grades for thread formers differ from those for cutting taps. Nevertheless, this does not affect the tolerance of the female thread being produced, as can be seen in the table below.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2