Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multi axis pocket

G1CNC

Hi guys. any ideas what the best 5 axis toolpath would be to rough and finish this pocket?

I've tried multi axis pocketing but the software seems to want to hang up when i calculate it.

I'm guess swarf is the best way to go?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-05-08 183931.png

5-ax pocketing is not adequate here as your machining geometry floor is not radial. And then even if you create an imaginary floor surface

which could be radial ( like the top of your part ) then the tool axial deflections will not help to clear out the external surface undercut.

I would suggest a 3-ax roughing strategy and then swarfing.

Gracjan

Cool part!    The answer here is, of course, it depends.    How big is the part, what material, how big is that slot, how deep it is, how much undercut, etc.

Depending on slot width, Multiaxis Pocketing could help you with the roughing part, but you can either use it in Dynamic mode which will not do undercuts (it's always normal to the floor surface), or you have to use Offset style roughing to do the undercuts.

If you're thinking of slotting it and want to spiral from the middle outwards and tilt away from the walls, I'd use Morph, and on the Cut Pattern page make sure to set the Cut Order to "From Center away," that'll cause it to start with in the middle and then cut each slice towards the outside.   Collision control the inside walls with automatic tilt should get your angles nicely.

Then finish the walls with Swarf.

Tough to be certain as it's only a pic and size is lost...

I might go ahead and use a ramp cut converted to a 5 axis path to rough and swarfs for the walls, really need to ballmill the floor for finish, 5 axis flow perhaps

• Like 1