Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Filling a hole on a curved surface and surfacing

Sigurd

Quick background: I'm teaching myself surfacing on the job as the need arises. I've posted some questions already and you folks have been very helpful. Thanks.

My request today is two-fold. First, I'd like to make a surface over the hex pocket. You can see that it intersects the spherical radius on the floor and that's what I can't figure out.

Second, machining the T-shaped slot. I think I have a good toolpath from Equal Scallop, but I'd like it to run past the outside of the part, say .05". Do I need to just draw a bigger containment boundary? Would creating surfaces and then extending them be the way to go? What would be a good roughing strategy? Again, I'd like the tool to run past the outside diameter of the part.

Thanks.

9835 Housing Runner Shutoff Pin.mcam

21 minutes ago, Sigurd said:

Thanks.

First thing I do when surfacing is to see how the surfaces "untrim". 

This will usually fill any holes (there is also a separate function to fill holes). The toolpath can then be controlled by by containment , or partial retrimming.  

Untrimmed surfaces are easier to manipulate. Often they won't appear to change much (usually the color will change) but it will allow you to extend the surface edge to allow your cutter to "run off" the part surface but still be supported by the extended surface to avoid gouging.

I tried untrimming the surfaces around the hex. You can see what happened. Where would I go from here?

As far as the toolpath goes, I got Surface Rough Pocket to work, but I don't want to run around the OD of the pin. That's my containment boundary, but unchecking "finish containment boundary" didn't seem to have an effect.

9835 Housing Runner Shutoff Pin rev B.mcam

1 hour ago, Sigurd said:

Quick background: I'm teaching myself surfacing on the job as the need arises. I've posted some questions already and you folks have been very helpful. Thanks.

My request today is two-fold. First, I'd like to make a surface over the hex pocket. You can see that it intersects the spherical radius on the floor and that's what I can't figure out.

Second, machining the T-shaped slot. I think I have a good toolpath from Equal Scallop, but I'd like it to run past the outside of the part, say .05". Do I need to just draw a bigger containment boundary? Would creating surfaces and then extending them be the way to go? What would be a good roughing strategy? Again, I'd like the tool to run past the outside diameter of the part.

Thanks.

9835 Housing Runner Shutoff Pin.mcam

Copy to a new level. Model prep to remove the hex. Remove the bottom fillet and then use Push pull to make a different diameter and have a good day.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space
  • Like 1