Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Milling on 316 Stainless Steel

Tim Sureline

Purchase HSMAdvisor from Edgar Gerfanov . You plug in your material, endmills specifications and then follow the recommendations from it and have a nice day. I purchased and have used this product personally for as long as it has been out. I have recommend it many customers and many of them seen the benefit of it and purchased it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Purchase HSMAdvisor from Edgar Gerfanov . You plug in your material, endmills specifications and then follow the recommendations from it and have a nice day. I purchased and have used this product personally for as long as it has been out. I have recommend it many customers and many of them seen the benefit of it and purchased it. 

Agreed. I pay for a seat of HSMAdvisor out of my own pocket. Great tool.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Ron, I use FSWizard (the stripped down HSMAdvisor) as a starting point, but I usually end up backing off most things.  Do you find that their speeds and feeds usually end up pretty close to real world?  Do you utilize the tool libraries in HSMAdvisor or do you usually end up using their already built in speeds and feeds?

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Brad St. said:

Ron, does it include libraries for known tooling already or do you as you said enter the specs as you go?

I normally build my own since almost everything I program for with regards to speeds and feeds is from memory. I will look up what the tool manufacture recommends and then plug them in if not sure where to start. I like the deflection and Horsepower information. That is how I make my decisions. I also consider what do I think a machine can handle along with the work holding and tooling. I do a lot shooting from the hip using years of experience to make my choices from. I would rather take a little longer doing something and know it is right and then work up than start off at insane land tearing a bunch of stuff up. Always can go faster if you're at a good starting point.

14 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Ron, I use FSWizard (the stripped down HSMAdvisor) as a starting point, but I usually end up backing off most things.  Do you find that their speeds and feeds usually end up pretty close to real world?  Do you utilize the tool libraries in HSMAdvisor or do you usually end up using their already built in speeds and feeds?

Yes normally starting with the speeds and feed listed are good starting point. Again I consider more than just the speeds and feeds being listed.

Example one project I did the HAM Advisor pretty much said I was 812% of recommended speed. I was onsite and was able to dial in the process. We were cutting 24000 rpms and 1200 ipm with a .125" step down dong a 1.2" step over on 2219-T7 Aluminum. That came out to 180 cubic inches a minute of metal removal. Machine was pulling 54hp to make the cut, but it handled it and we were throwing chips 35 to 40 feet from the machine. Crazy land yes, but one of those glad I was there to see it in person.

Here is what HSM Advisor says about that cutting:

Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum 150 HB
Tool: 2.000 in 3FL Carbide nACo (nc-AlTiN)/(a-Si^3N^4) Indexed End Mill
Speed: 12560.6 f/min / 24001.0RPM
Feed: 0.0167 in 0.0500in/rev 1200.00 in/min
Chip Thickness: 0.0167 in
Reference Chip load: 0.0079 in
Engagement: DOC=0.12 in WOC=1.20 in
Effective Dia: 2.000 in
Cross Section: 0.04 x Dia.
Power: 54.0HP
MRR: 180.00 in³
Torque: 11.82 ft-lb
Max Torque: 523.33 ft-lb
Cutting Force: 141.8 lb
Deflection: 0.0000 in
Max Deflection: 0.00125 in

• Like 2
15 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

I normally build my own since almost everything I program for with regards to speeds and feeds is from memory. I will look up what the tool manufacture recommends and then plug them in if not sure where to start. I like the deflection and Horsepower information. That is how I make my decisions. I also consider what do I think a machine can handle along with the work holding and tooling. I do a lot shooting from the hip using years of experience to make my choices from. I would rather take a little longer doing something and know it is right and then work up than start off at insane land tearing a bunch of stuff up. Always can go faster if you're at a good starting point.

Yes normally starting with the speeds and feed listed are good starting point. Again I consider more than just the speeds and feeds being listed.

Example one project I did the HAM Advisor pretty much said I was 812% of recommended speed. I was onsite and was able to dial in the process. We were cutting 24000 rpms and 1200 ipm with a .125" step down dong a 1.2" step over on 2219-T7 Aluminum. That came out to 180 cubic inches a minute of metal removal. Machine was pulling 54hp to make the cut, but it handled it and we were throwing chips 35 to 40 feet from the machine. Crazy land yes, but one of those glad I was there to see it in person.

Here is what HSM Advisor says about that cutting:

Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum 150 HB
Tool: 2.000 in 3FL Carbide nACo (nc-AlTiN)/(a-Si^3N^4) Indexed End Mill
Speed: 12560.6 f/min / 24001.0RPM
Feed: 0.0167 in 0.0500in/rev 1200.00 in/min
Chip Thickness: 0.0167 in
Reference Chip load: 0.0079 in
Engagement: DOC=0.12 in WOC=1.20 in
Effective Dia: 2.000 in
Cross Section: 0.04 x Dia.
Power: 54.0HP
MRR: 180.00 in³
Torque: 11.82 ft-lb
Max Torque: 523.33 ft-lb
Cutting Force: 141.8 lb
Deflection: 0.0000 in
Max Deflection: 0.00125 in

What kind of tool was that?  Sounds like a Rough-Air or an Aluminator

16 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

I don't have HSM advisor, on my list to get!

I use FS Wizzard for a lot of things. 

For 316SS, Titanium etc I pretty much use Helical Solutions End Mills. They have a a really slick Speeds and Feeds App.

i get about 4 times life on their Ti cutters

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

Another happy HSM Advisor user here.  I also use the Helical Machining Advisor.  Both are good, both have strengths and weaknesses.

Hi, you know I pay a lot of attention to user feedback, so please make sure to report the weaknesses!

• Like 5

Similar to Ron, I kinda know what surface footage and ipt to run based off of years of experience. I know my 1/2" finisher always runs around 1200sfm and .0025 ipt in aluminum. The tool has that data tied to it in the tool manager so I am not constantly changing that.

When it comes to things like inconel or hard materials, a combination of HSMAdvisor and Gwizard is my go to. I honestly feel like HSM works and generates more accurate data than GWizard. Sometimes i will compare both and the numbers are wildly different, and in the end i usually choose HSM. Gwizard I use all the time for threading data though, if I can't remember exactly which tap drill to go with I will reference the software because it is basically the Machinist Handbook in a nice UI. So for that it is really nice, especially when programming lathe threads.

But after years you just remember the numbers for alot of applications. Like a recipe.