Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Islands at end of dynamic toolpaths

JB7280

Nature of the beast. What I have done is made islands of shapes I want left. Then I will make a contour toolpath and ramp them off. I am using a 1" Tool then I will make island where they will end up .8 thick by 3" to 4" long. Now I have a nice rigid shape left. I then come back and ramp them and done. Here is an example file to show you what I mean.

5TH AXIS NO SLIVER WITH HST ISLAND

Again where if you put a start hole in the part you don't run into this problem either.

There is a new option in Dynamic for "Corner Pretreatment". This option will make the Toolpath machine away the corners of a block first, leaving more of an Octogon or Circular shape. This helps to lessen the chance of developing a long and thin island at the end. You can still have a small pedestal shape at the end, which will break-off at some point, but it is much less likely to damage the tool when it does let go.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

There is a new option in Dynamic for "Corner Pretreatment". This option will make the Toolpath machine away the corners of a block first, leaving more of an Octogon or Circular shape. This helps to lessen the chance of developing a long and thin island at the end. You can still have a small pedestal shape at the end, which will break-off at some point, but it is much less likely to damage the tool when it does let go.

I've been using this with great results for the past several months.

• Like 1
On 5/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, mwearne said:

I did a video on this a while back. Lots of other options not talked about in this but it's a start.
...video starts at 3:30

That was a great video.  Thanks for the link!  On the technique where he basically separated the facing into 2 squares, I would have used the part square as a machining region (not oversized geometry), from outside, and used the top, bottom, and right sides as air regions, rather then working from right to left.  not sure if that would've been any more or less successful or efficient.  Longer transition moves, but also seems like more time consistently in the cut.  Either way, splitting it in half is a simple trick I hadn't thought of!

sliver test.jpg

• Like 2