Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I'm trying to run a few simultaneous 5 axis surfacing toolpaths on a Haas UMC but I can't get the machine to cut at the correct feedrate. I started out with an angle increment of 3 degrees but the motion was pretty jerky so I reduced it to .5 degrees then .1 degrees. The motion looks smooth now but the toolpath takes far longer to run. According to backplot the toolpaths should've taken a little under a minute and a half but at 3 degrees the actual machining took just under 6 minutes and at .5 degrees probably closer to 20 minutes. I'd imagine .1 degrees would take over an hour. I tried playing with the toolpath tolerances in mastercam as well as the machine's smoothing settings but none of that seemed to help. Is there an easy way to get a simultaneous 5 axis toolpath to cut smoothly and at the feedrate you specify?

Thanks

Welcome to 5-Axis... the land of compromise. :rofl:

You're going to have to do some experimenting with tolerance, point spacing, etc... to find that cycle time you can accept while maintaining the tolerance/surface finish you desire. I don't have any Haas guidelines unfortunately. I know what works for my FANUC Controlled Matsuuras but that is a completely different class machine and completely different control

I will say that regarding point spacing that around .010 (254µm) the points look like feed lines and not facets so more points begins the point of diminishing returns.

HTH

• Like 1
On 5/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, cncappsjames said:

Welcome to 5-Axis... the land of compromise. :rofl:

You're going to have to do some experimenting with tolerance, point spacing, etc... to find that cycle time you can accept while maintaining the tolerance/surface finish you desire. I don't have any Haas guidelines unfortunately. I know what works for my FANUC Controlled Matsuuras but that is a completely different class machine and completely different control

I will say that regarding point spacing that around .010 (254µm) the points look like feed lines and not facets so more points begins the point of diminishing returns.

HTH

I contacted a Haas apps engineer, turns out lookahead was being turned off by a code in a subprogram for an aftermarket TSC system so that was affecting my dynamic toolpaths and my simultaneous 5 axis toolpaths. He fixed them and now the paths run as expected. Thanks!

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Brandon Swihart said:

I contacted a Haas apps engineer, turns out lookahead was being turned off by a code in a subprogram for an aftermarket TSC system so that was affecting my dynamic toolpaths and my simultaneous 5 axis toolpaths. He fixed them and now the paths run as expected. Thanks!

What at TSC system is being used so I can be on the look out for other customers?

• Like 1