Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Smoothing Tolerance

GGORR

Hi 

I can only seem to get a value of 0.075 as my smallest value in my smoothing tolerance as standard default.

If I reduce my Total Tolerance to the minimum this allows me to go down to 0.03 on the smoothing tolerance but i have seem people with there value lower.

Could someone advice what's the best way to get a lower value into this setting .

The process I'm doing is C axis milling so looking to keep it neat for best possible result at the machine.

Attached below is a picture of my settings

Thanks Graeme 

Capture10.PNG

¿ seems backwards here, what you have circled will break all your lines and arcs to .075 long segments. yet your total tol above seems real high at .025 and will give you an extremely faceted surface.

My default for smooth finish is total tol = .0005 and what you have circled I use a large number like 22.0 (I don't want to break circles, slplines or lines). I also check the "line/arc" box with XY on. (smallers up the code) 

9 minutes ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

¿ seems backwards here, what you have circled will break all your lines and arcs to .075 long segments. yet your total tol above seems real high at .025 and will give you an extremely faceted surface.

My default for smooth finish is total tol = .0005 and what you have circled I use a large number like 22.0 (I don't want to break circles, slplines or lines). I also check the "line/arc" box with XY on. (smallers up the code) 

I noticed the metric endmill to the left.  Could OP be working in metric perhaps?

Actually, after seeing the 4800 feedrate, I'm sure that is the case.

• Like 2

Hi, I looked at the dialog code - it looks like the minimum segment length is set to 3X the total tolerance on the way into the dialog.  So, you may have found the work-around - set the total tolerance really small, set your segment length, exit the dialog, reenter the dialog and set your total tolerance back to the larger value (this time, don't touch the segment length).  As you exit, you may get some warnings but it seems like the smaller segment length will stick (and get applied to the toolpath).  

I logged this as D-45365 so that we may take a closer look.  

The tolerances and settings all do work together - you may have a valid use case for a segment length smaller than the total tolerance - so, I think, the dialog should allow that.  But maybe a warning would still be helpful(?).

Thanks for reporting this.

• Like 1