TOM S

5axis router alignment

I have seen millions of videos and ads for Renishaw (et al.) that use software, and probes for calibrating 5 axis machines.  I have only seen this exclusively in the metal working industry.  I have been in the woodworking industry for 20+ years and have never encountered it being used.  Has anyone else seen / used this tech on a CNC router?

We run thermwood 5 axis machines and we do the mechanical tram procedure.

58 minutes ago, MATT Q said:

We run thermwood 5 axis machines and we do the mechanical tram procedure.

We run the same on our SCM.  But pay for a tech to do it.  Had just seen videos about it being automated and simplified in the metal industry and wondered why I haven't seen it in Woodworking

10 minutes ago, TOM S said:

We run the same on our SCM.  But pay for a tech to do it.  Had just seen videos about it being automated and simplified in the metal industry and wondered why I haven't seen it in Woodworking

Compare the price of the equipment for the size and accuracy and then you will answer your own question. 5 Axis Routers for a 4' x 4' x 10' machining envelope is around $125k a Metal machine with the same size is about 10 times the cost. You get what you pay for.

• Thanks 1

Ron hit the nail on the head. Cost versus Accuracy. The wood industry deals with natural products, that tend to shrink and swell based on moisture content. The machines for cutting wood tend to be built with cheaper components; bearings, servo motors (steppers?), guides, ways, etc.

Also, it is much easier to find "mechanical kinematic center points", on a Gantry Router. Travel is typically easy to get the Spindle Face at Tilt +90 and Tilt-90. I can find the Tilt Center in about 20-30 minutes on a Gantry machine.

Now try finding that same number, on a machine with only +25, -110 of Tilt Travel, on a Trunnion where there is a 20mm offset in X, and a 50mm offset in Z, between the face of the platter, and the tilt axis. I can do this with Axiset or Kinematic Perfect, in about 20-30 minutes. Now, try doing the same calculations manually! Last time, it took me a couple of hours to get the kinematic numbers dialed in. I'm sure some of that was just me being rusty on doing it manually, but it is a whole lot easier when you have 180 degrees of travel on the Tilt Axis, and specifically +90-90 degrees. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1