Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Shared folder is shared folder on another pc

BBprecise

Anybody here have their Mastercam Shared folder on another pc on their LAN? Specifically anybody running WIndows 10.

Ever since putting Win10 on my pc opening and saving files to that shared folder has been really slow. Like 10-15 slow to open, close and save files.

12 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

Do you have My Drive on your computer? When I had it on mine saving to our file server was much slower. Since it's been removed I'm back to normal.

12 hours ago, gcode said:

I had MS One Drive hijack My Mastercam folders which really slowed things down

Things got back to normal once I figured it out and fixed it

I will double check, but I'm pretty sure it's not and I think my reseller looked at that too.

Everything was working great when I had Win7 running 2020. As soon as I moved to Win10 everything went to hell. Couldn't get my old SpaceMouse Explorer to work either. No matter which driver I tried using. Ended up having the company buy my a new one so I had them buy me the Enterprise. Damn ain't this thing got some buttons! I went back and forth between the Enterprise and the wireless Pro. I may send the Enterprise back to get the Pro wireless as it's all I really need, but this Enterprise looks really cool on the desk 😆😆.

So I just checked and no OneDrive. ☹️ Kinda hoping it was still installed so it would explain my problems.

Anybody using an Evoluent vertical mouse? For some reason when I'm using Mastercam it hitches, but as soon as I minimize MC it works fine. 😡

I am really starting to not like Win10. I think one of the other programmers is on Win10 so I'll ask him if he has a long wait when saving file. I doubt it or I would of heard by now as I do as much of the IT stuff as I have time for.

I'm using an Évoluent vertical mouse D wired (had a vertical mouse 3 before) rwithout issue (with Windows7 though).

However, i've got a latency with shared folder too. Shared folder is on my seat (Win7) and 2 others Mastercam seats (Win10) are set to use that shared folder.

One is OK but the other, every first call to a toolpath type there is a latency about 2 seconds.

It started with 2020 and I couldn't find how to solve it.  

15 hours ago, gcode said:

I had MS One Drive hijack My Mastercam folders which really slowed things down

Things got back to normal once I figured it out and fixed it

One Drive was also putting my Mastercam files on the Microsoft Cloud. That was one more excuse I used to get One Drive off my computer. Microsoft is friendly with China.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, David Colin said:

I'm using an Évoluent vertical mouse D wired (had a vertical mouse 3 before) rwithout issue (with Windows7 though).

However, i've got a latency with shared folder too. Shared folder is on my seat (Win7) and 2 others Mastercam seats (Win10) are set to use that shared folder.

One is OK but the other, every first call to a toolpath type there is a latency about 2 seconds.

It started with 2020 and I couldn't find how to solve it.  

I'm using the wireless version of the same mouse. My latency is 10-15sec to open, save, close and when I add the machine group to the file I have to hit escape key several times for it to add the group.

Normally when I add the group I get prompted for the toolpath group name, but the prompt doesn't appear. At 1st I thought it was poping up behind Mastercam but it's not. Only way for it to complete adding the machine group is to hit escape key several times. I used to have the shared folder (and nethasp when we still needed one) on a separate internal drive on my pc, but if I needed to restart my pc it messed everybody else up so we moved the shared folder to one of our virtual 2012 servers running on vmware and moved the nethasp to another pc that rarely needed restarting. Now that we use a license server I have that running on one of our virtual servers as well and I never had a problem with anything until Win10.

I even found a few posts about how to make sure OneDrive is completely disabled and removed from my pc and followed them and still have the problem. My reseller says it's because my machine definitions were on that shared drive, which when they did a test file on my pc with copies of the machines on my local pc and it seemed to work, but it's back to the way it was now. 🤬🤬

Try opening each of your Control Definition Files, using the Control Definition Manager. 

In the Post Processors dialog, delete all of the file paths. (No Posts attached, only "Default Settings for Control Type".)

Save the Control Definition.

Now, open the same CD, and verify that no paths exist under Post Processor drop-down path menu.

Go through the "default" settings, and make sure all is set correctly.

Now, use the Post Processor dialog, and add "your Post". Close the dialog box. 

Now, choose the Post Processor Drop-down list, and choose the new File Path (your Post).  A plus sign (+) should show next to the path. Press 'save', and it will turn into a Green Check Mark. 

Do this for all your Control Definition files. 

Those saved paths are 'static file paths'. I think Windows goes looking for paths that might no longer exist. 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, BBprecise said:

Anybody here have their Mastercam Shared folder on another pc on their LAN? Specifically anybody running WIndows 10.

Ever since putting Win10 on my pc opening and saving files to that shared folder has been really slow. Like 10-15 slow to open, close and save files.

Those paths are set in File -> Configuration -> Files, Ideally, the shared and my mastercam folders would be set to your c drive.

After copying the machine definition, the control definition and .pst file need to be set again to reflect the new location.

6 minutes ago, Megatron said:

Those paths are set in File -> Configuration -> Files, Ideally, the shared and my mastercam folders would be set to your c drive.

After copying the machine definition, the control definition and .pst file need to be set again to reflect the new location.

Well aware on the default directories Mastercam installs to (2020 is like the 14th/15th version of Mastercam I've installed and used). Been running this setup for 2-3yrs without a hitch until I had to upgrade my pc to Win10. All files and paths are set correctly.

41 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Try opening each of your Control Definition Files, using the Control Definition Manager. 

In the Post Processors dialog, delete all of the file paths. (No Posts attached, only "Default Settings for Control Type".)

Now, open the same CD, and verify that no paths exist under Post Processor drop-down path menu.

Now, choose the Post Processor Drop-down list, and choose the new File Path (your Post).  A plus sign (+) should show next to the path. Press 'save', and it will turn into a Green Check Mark. 

Those saved paths are 'static file paths'. I think Windows goes looking for paths that might no longer exist. 

I'll try deleting and resetting the paths to the post processors. Anything is possible at this point. Thanks Colin.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Colin, good thing you're here to remind me of crap. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I did the same thing yesterday on a mill definition and it fixed and I remember thinking I need to go back thru and redo all of our machine def's.

Worked a treat! Thanks Colin.

• Like 3

Glad my info fixed it!

The other thing for everyone to remember to check, is the "Files Page" in the Control Definition. Here you can associate:

• Tool Libraries
  • Setup Sheets
  • Operation Defaults
  • Operation Libraries

Make sure all of those are pointing to [Your Mastercam Version > Local File Path Locations].

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Glad my info fixed it!

The other thing for everyone to remember to check, is the "Files Page" in the Control Definition. Here you can associate:

• Tool Libraries
  • Setup Sheets
  • Operation Defaults
  • Operation Libraries

Make sure all of those are pointing to [Your Mastercam Version > Local File Path Locations].

Yes whenever people start moving things around and not paying attention to this linking things get wonky really quick.

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes whenever people start moving things around and not paying attention to this linking things get wonky really quick.

The files were already there and had been for a few years. I didn't change the machine def's at all, but I checked them when I installed MC on Win10 and all of the paths were correct. As they should have been. I didn't give much thought to resetting the paths to what was already there until I happened to do it yesterday, and when Colin put his post up it jogged my memory.

2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Glad my info fixed it!

• Tool Libraries
  • Setup Sheets
  • Operation Defaults
  • Operation Libraries

Yeah, all of those paths stayed the same and are correct. Just re-doing the post processor fixed my problem.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BBprecise said:

Colin, good thing you're here to remind me of crap.

Yep, ever since Colin did the CD Defaults on the Pro Tips section I do this religiously.

Definitely preserves the hair follicles. I would recommend anyone to read that post.

• Like 1