Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A nice MC 2022 video

gcode

On that "simplified" function, they could accomplish that goal better by using drop down menus.  Far faster to scan through a list, rather than hunting through a randomly arranged jumble of icons and labels with certain functions hidden under drop-down arrows.  I've been spending more time lately trying to get used to the new interface, and the more time I spend the angrier and more frustrated I get.  Things that used to take 30 seconds are taking ten minutes.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

On that "simplified" function, they could accomplish that goal better by using drop down menus.  Far faster to scan through a list, rather than hunting through a randomly arranged jumble of icons and labels with certain functions hidden under drop-down arrows.  I've been spending more time lately trying to get used to the new interface, and the more time I spend the angrier and more frustrated I get.  Things that used to take 30 seconds are taking ten minutes.

Make a list of your commonly used commands.

Right click these icons and select "Add to QA bar"

Minimize the hated toolbars and move on

19 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

How about all of them?

There is no reason you couldn't do that.

I know people who have put the entire menu structure on their right click mouse button.

Personally I have one row of QA commands and the trim and extend commands hot keyed on my mouse

The big ones for me are File commands 

If you put them on the QA bar they work like old school file commands

I really dislike the MS style file commands the icons launch.

44 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

I'm thinking that until CNC Software makes a useable interface again

Not going to happen, at least for us old guys

My first computer was pre DOS with no mouse.

It was all keyboard all the time, complete with cardboard templates that fit over the keyboard.

Once you got the keyboard shortcuts dialed in, you could fly.

The interfaces today are built for kids who've grown up on MS interfaces which I hate with a burning passion.

This is as it should be. Trying to force 2 generations of MS kids to use a 1990's interface would be a very poor business decision.

The Serenity Prayer applies here.

You must have the wisdom to accept the things you cannot change....and move on.

Moving on could be learning to use the current Mastercam interface, switching to different software,

or running X9 till the end of days

However, I don't think there is a CAM package left that has an interface you would find acceptable

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, gcode said:

This is as it should be.

On this I disagree.

When I buy something for the business, be it a machine, software, or anything else, appearances are really low on the priority list.  Capability, speed, and efficiency are what matter.  It can be ugly as heck and have a steep learning curve, but if it's 10% faster once I'm up and running and in practice with it, that's the win.  We're in this to make money, not to put on a show.

Clicking icons, in ribbons or in right click menus, can never be as fast as touch-typing through dropdown menus.  It's not possible.  If they just let me set the access keys back to something that made sense, I'd be a happy camper.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

On this I disagree.

When I buy something for the business, be it a machine, software, or anything else, appearances are really low on the priority list.  Capability, speed, and efficiency are what matter.  It can be ugly as heck and have a steep learning curve, but if it's 10% faster once I'm up and running and in practice with it, that's the win.  We're in this to make money, not to put on a show.

Clicking icons, in ribbons or in right click menus, can never be as fast as touch-typing through dropdown menus.  It's not possible.  If they just let me set the access keys back to something that made sense, I'd be a happy camper.

I agree 100% with you.

• Like 1