Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Index Drill as a drill and boring bar (MasterCAM)

StevenL

I would like to use an index drill as a drill and boring bar.  I can set it up like a drill in my tool library, but does anyone know the proper way to call it out being that its has offsets for a drill and also offsets as a boring bar.  HAAS has a video saying you can do this, but they don't really explain much beyond that.  The devil is in the details.

- The process would be call out the Drill as TOOL X with offset X and drill hole.

- Then call out "drill" again, but it's actually a boring bar now.  It would have the offset of a boring bar.  The designation would still be drill but operating as a boring bar.  This gets really confusing.  I almost think I have to do the tool as a boring bar separately using the insert on the outside like the tip of a boring bar.

Thanks,

Steve

image.png.b1aab4bf750131d24316e87eeb4ce23b.png

3 minutes ago, StevenL said:

Then call out "drill" again, but it's actually a boring bar now.  It would have the offset of a boring bar. 

So at this point you want a different tool number ?  You will need to construct 2 tools, each with the appropriate number.

If you want the same tool number to perform one of the different "drilling" functions, select from the drop down and the Ops manager will label it with the appropriate function....i.e. drill or bore, but it will retain the same Tool #.

All drilling functions use only the H offset and so it will be the same regardless of drilling or boring. The offset is tied to the Tool # not the tool function.

This can all also be customized in the post and the new advanced drill cycle allows more complex long hand cycles.

Does that clarify?

• Thanks 1

For a Lathe, you only get "one tool number, per tool", but you can have more than one "offset".

T0202 > Tool #2, Offset #2 (Set only Z length, set X to 0.0 [centerline])

T0220 > Tool #2, Offset #20 (Set Z, and touch off tool in X, so that the tangent point of the insert, is the X offset.) Also, for most lathe tools, you must set a "Direction" parameter. This tells the machine "what corner of the insert you used to touch off".

Contact Haas, and ask for a copy of the Y-Axis Lathe Applications Guide. That should show you how to set up both static and live tools, in the Lathe Turret.

• Thanks 1

Another  solution would be to create a line drawn at the same diameter as the tool then that becomes your 1st machine profile.

So instead of the 1st op being a drill cycle it is just a turn profile. You can then use the same tool and same offsets

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, StevenL said:

The devil is in the details.

There is nothing stopping you using 2 different length offsets for the same tool in a mill, but it can be tough to "manage". On lathes its pretty obvious because all the info is in one place.

By no means impossible tho'.

• Thanks 1

I probably should have mentioned I was talking about a HAAS CNC lathe.   Thanks for all of the good information.  I'm going to model it again as a drill and I received  the 3D stp. file from ISCAR and I'm going to model it as a boring bar also with the proper insert.  It's going to be fun.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, StevenL said:

I probably should have mentioned I was talking about a HAAS CNC lathe.   Thanks for all of the good information.  I'm going to model it again as a drill and I received  the 3D stp. file from ISCAR and I'm going to model it as a boring bar also with the proper insert.  It's going to be fun.

Thanks,

Steve

The Y-Axis Lathe Applications Guide that I mentioned has all the M-Codes, and NC Code samples, showing how to set up the different tools in your turret. (radial and axial tools, working on the Main Spindle or on the Sub Spindle). It is a great document for any Haas Lathe Programmer.

37 minutes ago, StevenL said:

Thanks,

Steve

Go on the Ingersoll site and compare your Iscar drill to theirs. Iscar bought Ingersoll for their boring heads but Ingersoll sold them at a lesser price even though they were coming out of the same building in Italy. Our Iscar guy hated it when I brought it up. :lol: The insertable drills may be the same and have the same pricing process.

55 minutes ago, StevenL said:

Thanks,

Steve

Nothing wrong with having 1 tool and two different offsets.

The only issue will be in Mastercam. I have found that when face drilling in lathe it does not remove the stock, so when you go in to bore with your next

op you will probably get a tool crash alarm as it does not see enough clearance for the bore bar.

This is why I suggested keeping it as 1 tool. When you profile the Drill diameter Masercam will then recognize the stock as being removed...if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

I have found that when face drilling in lathe it does not remove the stock

in fact anything in C-axis, drilling or milling shows stock removal when verifying.

Your initial stock creation will have to have a hole the same dia as your drill put into it.