Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe 3D Tool

khass0410

Hi all, thanks for the help in advance. I downloaded our Lathe cut off tool holder and insert from the Iscar website and have been trying to make a Lathe 3D tool work. I think I am fairly close. My problem is when I backplot the insert is not making contact with the part. If I use a Lathe standard tool with the same toolpath everything looks correct. The attached file is the Lathe 3D tool making no contact and the standard tool making contact with the same toolpath. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

krh - 3D Tools.mcam

18 minutes ago, khass0410 said:

Hi all, thanks for the help in advance. I downloaded our Lathe cut off tool holder and insert from the Iscar website and have been trying to make a Lathe 3D tool work. I think I am fairly close. My problem is when I backplot the insert is not making contact with the part. If I use a Lathe standard tool with the same toolpath everything looks correct. The attached file is the Lathe 3D tool making no contact and the standard tool making contact with the same toolpath. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

krh - 3D Tools.mcam

Good topic covering 3D tools was shared here.  Sight unseen most times a programmer forgets to define the width of the insert.

https://forum.mastercam.com/FindPost41758.aspx

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, khass0410 said:

Just downloaded them. Will watch soon. Thank you.

I back plotted the file and everything looks good to me. Now if you are referring to the Center distance issue then that is where you need to use the offset function when defining your tool cutting plane and it's offset.

That is found here:

image.png.2c750595d1d56106b540f490b66c4295.png

I changed it to negative of the picked point vale and got this:

image.png.e6f892a7f0162f1d115218a2bf71587d.png

Now insert is perfectly on center:

image.png.e4239a38d2ef46c7d55745e57f5ee5ba.png

image.png.f1cae43473037bc2d3d416b2b15feccb.png

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I back plotted the file and everything looks good to me. Now if you are referring to the Center distance issue then that is where you need to use the offset function when defining your tool cutting plane and it's offset.

That is found here:

I changed it to negative of the picked point vale and got this:

Now insert is perfectly on center:

So I just changed that. Didn't realize that setting was for that. I'm still seeing a small gap between the insert and part. Maybe I'm being to picky?

2021-06-10_15-46-30.bmp