Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Camplete Plugin for 2022

Programinator

On 6/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, cncappsjames said:

Hardware security WILL be going away for all software packages eventually. Anyone notice the number of USB ports is shrinking? I only have 3 on my Dell Precision 7750. Down from like 6 on my last rig. I had to buy a USB-C to USB hub because I've got 4 USB Keys I use on the regular. (3D Connexion, FANUC NC Guide, Mastercam and CAMplete). I probably won't be using my CAMplete key much after November.

Mastercam is doing away with the USB key also. Wanna run mill-turn? Say bye bye to the USB key. It will only run on a software key. It is reasonable to assume that new sales are software keys no matter the package you purchase.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Mastercam is doing away with the USB key also. Wanna run mill-turn? Say bye bye to the USB key. It will only run on a software key. It is reasonable to assume that new sales are software keys no matter the package you purchase.

Aladdin, the company that sells our HASP's has been bought out.. and the HASP products kicked to the curb

Our Hasps are limping along with legacy support and it's only a matter of time they are gone

Given a choice between a hasp and a software license, I'll take the hasp all day long but

that's not going to be an option soon.

Every year when I renew my maintenance I expect the bad new but so far, so good.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Leon82 said:

Because it's either going to be subscription, or grandfathered one username license

Do you guys feel that it isn't worth whatever the new cost/subscription will be?  Not sure I should bother renewing mine or not.  Unfortunately. I believe I'd need to renew maintenance to get the 2022 MC Plugin.  

2 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Do you guys feel that it isn't worth whatever the new cost/subscription will be?  Not sure I should bother renewing mine or not.  Unfortunately. I believe I'd need to renew maintenance to get the 2022 MC Plugin.  

Yes we are continuing to renew and use it for now at least

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, gcode said:

Aladdin, the company that sells our HASP's has been bought out.. and the HASP products kicked to the curb

Our Hasps are limping along with legacy support and it's only a matter of time they are gone

Given a choice between a hasp and a software license, I'll take the hasp all day long but

that's not going to be an option soon.

Every year when I renew my maintenance I expect the bad new but so far, so good.

I use hasp, the sw licenses are very limited in version support

I'm currently using my hasp at both home and work

It's very convenient. The only real danger is losing it while carrying it back and forth.

I don't know  the process for moving a software license from machine to machine

but I doubt it will be as simple as a moving  hasp 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gcode said:

It's very convenient. The only real danger is losing it while carrying it back and forth.

with solidworks you have to release it from one computer and activate it on the other

1 hour ago, gcode said:

its very easy, my dealer sim is sw, you just click activate or deactivate and put in the codes

3 hours ago, gcode said:

That is why we went to a license server. They were telling us that they were moving away from the HASPs when we were buying more seats of mill. I talked to my boss about it and we decided to swap over to the server. We started with a seat of mill and lathe. Then we added 5x to that seat. Then a 2nd seat of mill and 2 seats of wire. It got kinda stressful to keep track of where the 4 usbs were currently at. As we bring more guys from Surfcam over to Mastercam it just made sense.

When you are adding multiple seats a license server is the way to go because you don't have to buy every programmer

all the modules he may need.

We have 4 mill. 4 lathe 2 multiaxis and 1 seat of Moldplus CatRead and that supports 4 programmers with no problems

2 more multiaxis and 3 CatRead on 4 hasps would be a lot more money

24 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Just buy a new MAM or MX every year & have them add a year of maintenance to your existing seat(s). Easy piesy. 

Problem is, that wouldn't help with the new named used subscription would it?  Or are you saying to negotiate that into the deal?  Unfortunately, I doubt we'll be buying any new Matsuura unfortunately, due to our local dealer offering a pretty questionable level of service. (I should note, I don't think Matsuura is to blame).

We HAVE been buying a new Yasda every year.  However the newest (and most expensive) Yasda we bought, didn't come with Camplete.  I wonder if that's a product of Autodesk.

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Problem is, that wouldn't help with the new named used subscription would it?  Or are you saying to negotiate that into the deal?  Unfortunately, I doubt we'll be buying any new Matsuura unfortunately, due to our local dealer offering a pretty questionable level of service. (I should note, I don't think Matsuura is to blame)  We HAVE been buying a new Yasda every year.  However the newest (and most expensive) Yasda we bought, didn't come with Camplete.  I wonder if that's a product of Autodesk.

Autodesk made, and continues to make, changes to the entire CAMplete ecosystem. I can't add much more than that publically, but I do think the changes they are making are to their benefit.

15 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Autodesk made, and continues to make, changes to the entire CAMplete ecosystem. I can't add much more than that publically, but I do think the changes they are making are to their benefit.

What are the alternatives?  I know Vericut does verification, but it is not a post processor, is that correct?  

16 hours ago, JB7280 said:

and one expired seat

are they charging you for the year (or more) this seat was not on maintenance ?

With many software packages (Mastercam included), it's cheaper to buy a new seat that to 

bring a seat current if it has been off maintenance too long.

Occasionally, Mastercam will run an amnesty program for seats that have been out of maintenance 

for a long time.

30 minutes ago, gcode said:

are they charging you for the year (or more) this seat was not on maintenance ?

With many software packages (Mastercam included), it's cheaper to buy a new seat that to 

bring a seat current if it has been off maintenance too long.

Occasionally, Mastercam will run an amnesty program for seats that have been out of maintenance 

for a long time.

I know what you're referring to, they make you pay for the years you were not current, but from what I understand, this is not the case.  I was told "Your first year with the expired key will be $X, and after that it will be $(an amount equaling $X-400)."   Not sure whether or not it's ok to reference actual dollar amounts on a forum, so I won't. 

I believe after November I have to move to the single user subscription. I would have made the jump already but I have a significant number of legacy users to support still so AD renewed my USB key until November at which time I'll migrate over to the subscription like everyone else.

Regarding pricing, maintenance used to be around $1,500/key and was perpetual so if you stopped paying, you still could use the software... just no updates. New structure is a little under $1,800/seat and no perpetual license. To get an expired license back up and running will run you $3,500-ish (prices are approximate and you should get a quote from your dealer). Now, if you are lucky enough to have a USB key, you can always go back to using it. Even after you migrated to subscription. IF you decide you prefer the flexibility of using a key, you can install and run the latest active version while your key was on active maintenance.

The big problem with USB security devices is future compatibility is in question similar to the old Parallel port HASPS. It will eventually become unsupported. Guaranteed.

24 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

I believe after November I have to move to the single user subscription. I would have made the jump already but I have a significant number of legacy users to support still so AD renewed my USB key until November at which time I'll migrate over to the subscription like everyone else.

Regarding pricing, maintenance used to be around $1,500/key and was perpetual so if you stopped paying, you still could use the software... just no updates. New structure is a little under $1,800/seat and no perpetual license. To get an expired license back up and running will run you $3,500-ish (prices are approximate and you should get a quote from your dealer). Now, if you are lucky enough to have a USB key, you can always go back to using it. Even after you migrated to subscription. IF you decide you prefer the flexibility of using a key, you can install and run the latest active version while your key was on active maintenance.

The big problem with USB security devices is future compatibility is in question similar to the old Parallel port HASPS. It will eventually become unsupported. Guaranteed.

I was quoted for the expired seat, $3800 first year, $3400 each additional year.  

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

What are the alternatives?  I know Vericut does verification, but it is not a post processor, is that correct?  

There's two alternatives I'm aware of that can do what CAMplete does (but are more powerful) ; ICAM and NC Simul. Neither are inexpensive and both carry maintenance costs, and NONE make it easy like CAMplete does.

As far as continuing to use the product... here's a little backstory;  we were forced practically at gunpoint by Methods to purchase seats of CAMplete AT FULL RETAIL PRICE in 2006 (I think... could have been 2007)... based on a lie, for the privilege of doing ALL the work supporting the product for the west coast of the US. We could not deal directly with CAMplete back then, we had to deal with Methods. If CAMplete wasn't such a good product back then I probably would have gone down the ICAM or NC Simul path. But, thankfully, Matsuura and Methods got a divorce and this drastically opened things up not only from a support perspective but from a development perspective as well so we elected to stick with it. I had to make the hard sell to the executive management at my company and to Matsuura USA. I stand by that decision. I'd make that exact decision again without hesitation.

So, we bought two seats of CAMplete TruePath V4.2 for close to $25,000 I believe. One for me and one for another AE.

If we were forced to purchase CAMplete subscriptions at the $1,800 price today, I'd still vote to do it. CAMplete makes my job easier. It's that simple. My job is hard, and if there's a tool available that can take some of the hard stuff and make it easier, I'm going to use it. CAMplete is that tool.. at least for the simulation, collision checking and post processing.

JM2CFWIW :coffee:

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I was quoted for the expired seat, $3800 first year, $3400 each additional year.  

Did you not get an e-mail from Matsuura USA back in April? There was an opportunity to get back on maintanance for the $1,800-ish. It was a short window like a month if I recall, but there was one.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

There's two alternatives I'm aware of that can do what CAMplete does (but are more powerful) ; ICAM and NC Simul. Neither are inexpensive and both carry maintenance costs, and NONE make it easy like CAMplete does.

As far as continuing to use the product... here's a little backstory;  we were forced practically at gunpoint by Methods to purchase seats of CAMplete AT FULL RETAIL PRICE in 2006 (I think... could have been 2007)... based on a lie, for the privilege of doing ALL the work supporting the product for the west coast of the US. We could not deal directly with CAMplete back then, we had to deal with Methods. If CAMplete wasn't such a good product back then I probably would have gone down the ICAM or NC Simul path. But, thankfully, Matsuura and Methods got a divorce and this drastically opened things up not only from a support perspective but from a development perspective as well so we elected to stick with it. I had to make the hard sell to the executive management at my company and to Matsuura USA. I stand by that decision. I'd make that exact decision again without hesitation.

So, we bought two seats of CAMplete TruePath V4.2 for close to $25,000 I believe. One for me and one for another AE.

If we were forced to purchase CAMplete subscriptions at the $1,800 price today, I'd still vote to do it. CAMplete makes my job easier. It's that simple. My job is hard, and if there's a tool available that can take some of the hard stuff and make it easier, I'm going to use it. CAMplete is that tool.. at least for the simulation, collision checking and post processing.

JM2CFWIW :coffee:

Did you not get an e-mail from Matsuura USA back in April? There was an opportunity to get back on maintanance for the $1,800-ish. It was a short window like a month if I recall, but there was one.

Management may have, I did not.  Unfortunately that stuff is not exactly "under control" here.  Lots of things go to the owner of the company, who is understandably too busy to be dealing with software renewals etc.  (It's a relatively large company, as machine shops go).  That's kind of why I'm trying to get all this sorted, to get things controlled by one person, and well....controlled.