Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alternative use for TSC...

I realize this may be a supremely dumb question so apologies for that but it popped into my head a couple days ago and I can't shake it. I also realize this answer may depend heavily on your machine type.

So...is it possible to hook up air lines to the TSC system and blow high PSI air through drills, endmills, etc? Even if you physically could with enough threaded couplers and adapters, would it be a really bad idea to try?

The vast majority of what my company runs has to run dry, and as useful as LocLine is, it can be a PITA to mess around with sometimes so I'm just thinking outside of the box here.

Yes it can be done, but you need to make sure you use the correct type of valve to control this and extremely important where you hook this up at. The other thing will be do you have extra M codes to gain access to the I/O channel to control the on and off of the switch? Were extra wires supplied in the harness to use or will you have to run different ones if you are looking to control this using a different set of M Codes. If you are thinking of doing a manual process at the pump side then you will need to think about how you are going to control the behavior of the coolant pump. I would suggest you reach out to your Machine Builder and get their input on what they recommend and then work from there. Some machines use the TSC for keeping the spindle cool so will need to make sure your not hurting the machine by doing away with that.

I have normally seen it as an option when purchasing. Often if you don't get it then, it can be tough or impossible to implement. Some don't even offer it as an option.

Some machines you can modify, some not. Consult the dealer, but often they fight shy of anything that might void a warranty, even if there is not one in effect.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2021 at 8:57 AM, Leon82 said:

Our Makino has a thru spindle air blast.

Matsuuras are blocked by the conrol but I have been able to do it by starting the air first on older ones accidentally.

Matsuura's can be made to run with air via a keep relay...but as stated above the rotary union will fail when run dry.

• 1 month later...

Our Okuma MU-1000 has through spindle air blast and we use it a lot for heavy steel roughing

with insert mills

A couple of years ago a young operator put a tool together that did not have  though

tool capabilities.  The spindle seals were damaged and complete spindle bearing failure 

soon followed. It was a very expensive repair 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...