Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAM 2022 > Migration Wizard seems to work 100%!

Colin Gilchrist

It appears that CNC Software has finally fixed an issue that has plagued most users.

Previously, when you ran the Migration Wizard; you still had to open each Control Definition File, to re-select the correct "newly Updated Post Processor". It required manual intervention on the part of the user to "finish the migration". Most users will recognize this behavior when they attempted to Post NC Code in the new Mastercam version. You would get a dialog box warning you that "your Control Definition and/or Post Processor need to be updated", because the Control Definition (new) was still linked to the "old Post".

I just ran Migration Wizard in 2022, and each of the Machine Definitions that I checked were correct! This means that the new Control Definition File is correctly pointing to the "updated Post", and the "static file path" in the Control Definition has been correctly modified to point to the "2022" Post Folder. Most important > the Transition Wizard is not just "adding the new Post" to a list of "linked Posts". It is actually overwriting the old file path. This means that you end up with the Correct Post (updated), linked to the Correct Control Definition File (updated), and this new updated CD is correctly linked to the Machine Definition File (updated).

Kudos to everyone at CNC Software who had a hand in fixing such a long-standing issue.

I can finally tell people: "Just run the Migration Wizard, then use the 'Manage List' function on the Machine Ribbon, to build your list of Machines (MD/CD/PST)".

It finally just works!!!

• Like 1

Now if they will let you migrate machine/control def's to different folders and point the control def to the post in the new folder...that would be nice.

Example...all of our machine/control def's are on a network folder

"P:\Mastercam Machines 2021"

Inside that folder there is folders for Wire, Mill, Lathe & Mill-turn & Tool Libraries

2022 folder is named

"P:\Mastercam Machines 2022"

Subfolders are named exactly the same

I still had to do the manual process of pointing each control def to the right post, and the Machine def to point to the right tool library.

I suppose if I got rid of the version in the folder (ie 2022) it would be happy. But what fun would that be?

Or did I do something wrong???

We recently updated to 2021.  It was by far, the cleanest update I've ever done with a new version of Mastercam. The only things that changed were that it added some characters to some string definitions that were missing, but worked  : "" and one of the buffers had 4 fields that changed to 5:

fbuf 1 1 4 0   to   fbuf 1 1 4 0 0

I can't leave Colin out of this, this was a big help:

https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/82717-protip-how-to-set-control-definition-defaults/

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm just starting the move to 2022. I hope there aren't any major issues. We had to skip 2020 because backplot issues were so bad we couldn't put up our huge, 1.0" ball finish programs on screen and rotate the part (just choked out our computers no matter how big a graphics card we got) and 2021 because the stupid simulation didn't do bullnose cutters correctly and showed them all violating parts, sigh. I hope 2022, the third time, is the charm. I hate to be 3 versions back after we did all the work in 2019 to customize our tool library, holders, simulation models and such.

I've been trying to look for a 2022 issues thread and I'm not finding anything, so I hope that means this is pretty clean. If it is clean, then I get to move the rest of the guys in our department in the next week or two.

Scott