Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rough surface finish

davidp_8282

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Mastercam and have been having issues with the surface finish. I ran a Dynamic Mill on a pocket cut leaving 0.01mm on the walls.

After I Contour the walls to do a finishing path but I can't figure out why it's not getting all the surface area.

Also I notice in the corners the surface finish is rough after Contour. Any tips on how to create a smooth surface finsih?

RemainingStock.JPG

Corner rough finish.JPG

4 hours ago, davidp_8282 said:

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Mastercam and have been having issues with the surface finish. I ran a Dynamic Mill on a pocket cut leaving 0.01mm on the walls.

After I Contour the walls to do a finishing path but I can't figure out why it's not getting all the surface area.

Also I notice in the corners the surface finish is rough after Contour. Any tips on how to create a smooth surface finsih?

RemainingStock.JPG

Corner rough finish.JPG

When you rough, you should be leaving more like 0.2-0.5 mm for your Stock to Leave. 0.01mm is 0.0004".

If you are asking why your Graphics don't look good, that is much different from "my toolpath isn't leaving a good finish on the actual part".

Are you using the Toolpath Filter?

Every path should be filtered, and I find that most Programmers don't even know that Arc Filtering even exists.

I'd use 0.1mm Tolerance for Roughing. Split 50/50% on "cut tolerance" versus "filter tolerance". (For Roughing > Total Tolerance should be 10% of your Stock-to-Leave Value. So if you leave 0.5mm on the walls, you should use 0.05mm tolerance, split 50/50 between Cut and Filter.)

For Finishing, I'd use 0.01mm Total Tolerance, with 10% for Cut Tolerance, and 90% for Filter Tolerance.

• Thanks 1