Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.prt files

JB7280

We have a customer that is giving us all of our drawings as .prt files, with the dimensions embedded in the 3D part file.  Does anyone have experience with these, and have a good way of viewing, printing, and working with these files?  The software we use right now, a basic viewer from Siemens, is a real pain in the %$#.  I have seen a software called Glovius that seems easier to use, but I wanted to see if anything else was out there for these files.

Best guess is to get at the data embedded, you'll need to purchase a translator for Mastercam or a seat of something that has a full license to import the file & data

If they are NX or Catia files, neither of those entities allows "free" beyond basic data...gotta pay the bookie fee

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JParis said:

Best guess is to get at the data embedded, you'll need to purchase a translator for Mastercam or a seat of something that has a full license to import the file & data

If they are NX or Catia files, neither of those entities allows "free" beyond basic data...gotta pay the bookie fee

I do believe they are NX native.  We will pay for a license, that's not a problem.  I was just curious what other people might have used.  Not sure if there is a translator for Mastercam.  Our reseller didn't seem to know much, as usual.

2 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I do believe they are NX native.  We will pay for a license, that's not a problem.  I was just curious what other people might have used.  Not sure if there is a translator for Mastercam.  Our reseller didn't seem to know much, as usual.

There is a translator for Mastercam....

https://www.mastercam.com/solutions/file-translators/

1 minute ago, JB7280 said:

Have you tried opening with Mastercam? It is in the list of file types.

image.png.c5c131e2b1889745bdd6ffe21b950617.png

The issue is that NX has certain data embedded in the .prt file that will not come through. I used to have the same problem trying to get at NX drawing and dimension data with a seat of Solid Edge- and that was still in the Siemens family! The only option offered by my reseller at the time was to buy a seat of NX at a reduced price specifically to handle viewing and converting this data.

21 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

The issue is that NX has certain data embedded in the .prt file that will not come through. I used to have the same problem trying to get at NX drawing and dimension data with a seat of Solid Edge- and that was still in the Siemens family! The only option offered by my reseller at the time was to buy a seat of NX at a reduced price specifically to handle viewing and converting this data.

They send us a .jt file, that we are able to open, but that isn't an "official" part.  The .prt is the official part dimensions.  I was able to open it in glovius.  I just spoke to our reseller, who said he will show me a demo of MC's translator, so I will see if that does what I need, if not, I might just purchase a seat of Glovius.

2 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

Have you tried opening with Mastercam? It is in the list of file types.

I would have thought so, but I'm honestly not sure I have.  To add to the problem, it seems our customer was having issues and most of the .prt's are corrupted anyways.  So I'll try that when I know we have good files!

I'd suggest reaching out to Verisurf, to see if their MBD Import Module will handle the importation of MBD Data.

Also, the company Mold Plus used to offer their own NX File & MBD Translator.

I'd check with both of those Mastercam Partners, to see if there is an option that would let you bring the data directly into Mastercam. That way you don't have to use external software..

MBD Import.PNG

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Thanks Colin, I've got some reading to do.  I thought you and I had spoken about this before, but I wasn't able to find our messages.  I will talk to the decision makers about Verisurf after I reach out to VF and do some research.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Mastercam's UG/NX importer will bring in the MBD from a .PRT file saved out of UG/NX. 

Take a look at the file in Mastercam and report back with how it handled the data.

Attempting to open in MC gives me the following errors.  For what it's worth, I installed the Verisurf MBD tool with the trial license, so I'm not sure if that license error is coming from that.

This .prt was opened in the QA department's software and it opened fine.

para.jpg.3a26a9564f27aae5d4afd281808bc5e1.jpg    license.jpg.cc36896695ddd4983a9a69a4d565a733.jpg

It is important to point out the difference between MBD data on an actual solid model saved in .PRT format, and drawings/blueprints done in UG/NX and saved in .PRT format. The latter is, to my understanding, only readable by an actual seat of NX. By QA department's software, what software package do you mean? What did the file contain?

2 hours ago, Chally72 said:

It is important to point out the difference between MBD data on an actual solid model saved in .PRT format, and drawings/blueprints done in UG/NX and saved in .PRT format. The latter is, to my understanding, only readable by an actual seat of NX. By QA department's software, what software package do you mean? What did the file contain?

They use Discus.  I was also able to open this file in a software called Glovius.  When opening the file you get the solid model, with multiple views, and dimensions laid out in those views.

*edit* - Reseller showed me an example of opening a file with MC's UG/NX Translator.  I also have an email out to Verisurf.

• Like 2