Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unified morph

So not a Guru

6 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

I've seen this with ball nose or rad tipped cutters where the path rides up to keep contact with the work.

This is a flat 1/8" endmill. The moves in the corners violate the containment. It's weird because the path cuts fine everywhere except the corners.

you could try checking the Round Corners check box on the cut pattern page, then an additional page will appear underneath cut pattern called Round Corners, in that location enter a radii that is slightly larger than your tools radii.

• Like 1

I can fix it, using the old morph pass, by removing the floor surfaces, enabling collision control & tightening the step over chaining tolerance. But I can't get the same results in the unified path.

It's not a big deal, I'm just trying out the new path to see what it will do, and not do.

I must admit it took me quite a while to understand this. The term "geodesic" is pretty much meaningless to this high school dropout, even after reading the Wikipedia page on it.

After I figured out to replace "geodesic" with "curve" coupled with "guide", it became much clearer.😜

Thanks @Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software, this was very informative. I was able to go back and play with the operation & found a multitude of handy features.

1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

I must admit it took me quite a while to understand this. The term "geodesic" is pretty much meaningless to this high school dropout, even after reading the Wikipedia page on it.

After I figured out to replace "geodesic" with "curve" coupled with "guide", it became much clearer.😜

Thanks @Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software, this was very informative. I was able to go back and play with the operation & found a multitude of handy features.

Glad it helped!  

I did a "deep dive" into the differences in some videos posted on our forums as part of the "2022 Multiaxis Improvements" threads.  I'd recommend you take some time and check it out if you haven't.  I forget exactly how long they are, but probably about 45 minutes total spread out across 3 videos:

https://forum.mastercam.com/Topic39690.aspx

The second one covers how "Geodesic" is used here, and starts exactly where you did, Wikipedia :)

This is a cool example of the different algorithms in action in the corners, so thanks for asking the question!  I'll have to incorporate something similar into future training info.

AAron if using center mode you would need to set your tool up in the machine to center aswell right? so if using a 1/2 ball you would have to modify your tool length to match the center point of your tool radius? I ask because I never have used CenterPoint for that reason but my thinking might be wrong? 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, motor-vater said:

AAron if using center mode you would need to set your tool up in the machine to center aswell right? so if using a 1/2 ball you would have to modify your tool length to match the center point of your tool radius? I ask because I never have used CenterPoint for that reason but my thinking might be wrong? 

This is purely a calculation switch, so you're not actually running at ball center in posted code- you're just changing the toolpath creation technique!

Back in the early days of 5X programming, ball endmills were programmed from the center of the ball because

the math was easier.

Both the legacy and ModuleWorks 5X toolpaths have switches to output to the C/L of a ball endmill 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gcode said:

Back in the early days of 5X programming, ball endmills were programmed from the center of the ball because

the math was easier.

Both the legacy and ModuleWorks 5X toolpaths have switches to output to the C/L of a ball endmill 

SO USING THOSE SWITCHES IS DIFFERENT FROM THIS ONE?

1 hour ago, motor-vater said:

SO USING THOSE SWITCHES IS DIFFERENT FROM THIS ONE?

Yes.. 

Check out a legacy swarf operation.

The Tip Compensation switch on the Cut Pattern page  will affect posted gcode.

Now check out  the Moduleworks Unified toolpath

There is a Tip Comp switch on the Misc page that will affect gcode output

The Calculation Type Aaron was referring to changes they way the toolpath is calculated

The Tip  Comp switch controls how it's posted.

Back in the day, (late 90's. early 20's) I read articles that said

calculating and comping to the center of a ball endmill yield smoother running toolpaths

With modern CAM crunching the numbers and modern machines running the code

I suspect that is no longer true.

I would be interested in Aaron's 2 cents on this

• Like 1

Yep, you've got it, Tom!  This drop down image.png.a7dc77a014adbd080b9aa288a3fdd9e2.pngonly applies to how you're going to set the tool up on the control, and you'd know it if you needed it, every time you touched off a tool to be used in multiaxis you'd subtract the radius from the tool length offset.

And yeah, it doesn't really apply anymore.  Any reasonably modern control should be able to deal with tool length properly but you'll still find the old school shops that still do it because they were early adopters of multiaxis so they have decades of setups that required it.

As you probably know, REALLY old school machines didn't even have a tip comp mode at all, like a lot of peoples' introduction to the 5 axis world; Bostomatic.   If any of you guys ran a machine like that, you actually had a fixture that would make sure your tool was physically positioned at the center of rotation:
image.png.f33be3c188556515070900cfa67e312b.png

For 5 axis work, your tool length offset is 0, and your tool would be physically like this (from the front) image.png.c97cbdbdba298530d620a907fd50d297.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Just to be clear:

This setting: image.png.fcbe73ee6694bf368b192cc61bb1d42a.png

(on the Misc page in ModuleWorks toolpaths and on the Cut Pattern page in CNC toolpaths) WILL MESS UP YOUR OUTPUT CODE!  It MUST match the way you set your tool length on the machine!

This setting: image.png.c51ba8f933ed7b4513ac07f113ae584c.png

only changes the way the algorithm calculates the passes on the model.  It WILL NOT mess up your output code, but it might not generate the toolpath the way you'd like as described above.  You'll see that in backplot.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2