Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Excessive entry in Optirest

JB7280

No matter what I do, the entry on my optirest toolpaths always seems to start way higher than it needs to.  Unfortunately I cant share a file, but on this one, I'm using just the faces inside the pocket as my machining region, and min/max depth is set to .100 below a thru hole in the pocket, and the highest feature inside the pocket.  I used the highest feature because otherwise, it wanted to make an unnecessary lap around the top face of the part.   Optirest is great, but I swear sometimes I spend as much time trying to get it right, as I would have making separate tool paths. (operator error, I'm sure)

**edit** - I also noticed that in Opti toolpaths, the Clearance field isn't working like it does in other Clearance fields.  Whether I choose incremental or absolute, the selection function outputs the same number.  Is that bugged in 2022, or am I misunderstanding it?

RAMP.jpg.ebf7c5a312294bad582e170d775b61f0.jpg

7 minutes ago, David Colin said:

Isn't there a Z clearance value in entry tab?

Yes, but I tried that all over the place.  I unchecked the stock tab, and it seemed to do ok.  So I think that even though I didn't have them selected, it was seeing those big tabs/ears that you see in the background, and that was forcing it to start high up.  

What do you have selected for geometry? Do you have "the whole solid" selected, or just the faces of the pocket itself?

Where is your Containment Boundary located?

Are you just showing "one of multiple" pockets being cut with the same path, or is this path created to "just machine a single pocket"?

Are you using "Stock"? If yes, I'd recommend creating a new "Mesh Entity" to act as the Stock for this Operation. I find this to be a much better solution than using the "stock calculation" from a previous toolpath. What I typically do is create a new Stock Model, but I am linking that Stock Model to a "Mesh saved to a Level", and not to "existing operations". I do this once I'm fairly certain that the "preceding operations" won't be changing much. 

Also, sometimes it is best if you create a "brand new" Opti-rough, rather than copying/pasting an existing Opti-rough. Sometimes if you are changing a copy of a previous operation, some of the Radio Button choices will be grayed-out.

Are you using "Stay Inside" or "From outside" for the strategy? With properly defined stock, it is possible to simply "plunge" into an existing hole, and bypassing the Helix motion completely.

5 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

What do you have selected for geometry? Do you have "the whole solid" selected, or just the faces of the pocket itself?

I had only the faces of the pocket selected

Where is your Containment Boundary located?

Containment boundary was the outside border of the pocket

Are you just showing "one of multiple" pockets being cut with the same path, or is this path created to "just machine a single pocket"?

There were 2 pockets being machined

Are you using "Stock"? If yes, I'd recommend creating a new "Mesh Entity" to act as the Stock for this Operation. I find this to be a much better solution than using the "stock calculation" from a previous toolpath. What I typically do is create a new Stock Model, but I am linking that Stock Model to a "Mesh saved to a Level", and not to "existing operations". I do this once I'm fairly certain that the "preceding operations" won't be changing much. 

Yes, I was using a stock model.  I think that may be where it was seeing those tall ears, and compensating for them.

Are you using "Stay Inside" or "From outside" for the strategy? With properly defined stock, it is possible to simply "plunge" into an existing hole, and bypassing the Helix motion completely.

I was using stay inside, as this pocket was solid material at the time.

7 hours ago, motor-vater said:

what does the stock model you are using look like?

I think that was contributing to the problem.  It probably would have fixed it if I'd have made a mesh for my stock, as Colin suggestion.  But just turning off the stock worked as well.