Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you keep your zero the same as the print's?

Do you keep your zero and orientation the same as the print's?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep your zero and orientation the same as the print's?

• Always
    • Almost always but Mastercam Origin goes to top of part
    • Keep same zero but rotate orientation to make sense for machining
    • I do what I want
    • Never

I am just curious because I have worked for companies that wanted everything to match print as close as possible. For instance even a small part that would run in a vise for op2 they would want the origin to match the datums even if they were called of the front of the part that would bank on the floating jaw. Other shops I know alway program off center...Because of that practice I have worked with people that didn't understand how to split stock evenly on their own. Just wanted to see what you all think.

I will normally program from the datums (avoids errors), however I always reserve the right to change WCS position to suit the situation, or simply for my own amusement if the machinists are being annoying.....

Typical would be using the center and top of the stock block for OP1.

• Like 1

we have standards at the machine. usually no setup sheet, tool list in the header. 

flat pattern, zero lower left corner of stock. follow on ops zero off bore or feature machined previous noted in header

vise, zero left edge, solid jaw, bottom of part or stock

hog out, zero center bottom of stock

production using a fixture, zero is at a marked bore in fixture z at that surface. some times its a shift but it is stamped on fixture. these are all pinned and g10 sets zero in program

of course there are exceptions but these are our hard fast rules.

this is just how it fits at my facility. I have programmed from all sorts of locations. programming from datums required operator-setup person to be able to read the print . not many of them left anymore

I found this has morphed into a disaster waiting to happen because there is little skill on the floor?? keep it simple and standard has been my latest adaptation. back in the day i setup and proved out other peoples programs i prefured off the datums so I could easily calculate code to the print.

False bottom stuff gets programmed off the center.

If it's a finished part and I'm doing fine boring all set to the datum surface.

Now that a lot of stuff is probed makes it a lot easier you can come off datum services while you're not at the datum zero

used to work in a shop that was around since the 60's. They wanted everything programmed in control and to the print, reason being operators could adjust programs on the fly.

I realized very early on the only thing I hate more than Control comp, was operators making changes to my programs!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:21 AM, motor-vater said:

I realized very early on the only thing I hate more than Control comp, was operators making changes to my programs!!!!!

haha, was totally guilty of this when learning to program, bugs me now as a programmer. my co-worker used to lock out the edit function and remove the key. good times.