Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WORKING TOO HARD! :-(

Bob W.

If this works out for you (and I suspect it will) consider reaching out to the business school of your local university and asking them do see if someone wants to do a case study on your process.

A published paper by an influential school means you could have effects felt far beyond just your shop.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, metalmansteve said:

Working 12 hours a day trying to avoid an 8 hour a day job....that's me and I'm burnt out.

sometimes we need to take a break...on the old off topic I made a few threads about how burnt out I got, since then, I learned to take a few days off here or there.

17 hours ago, Chipmakr said:

How are you handling the Friday to Monday hand off between the two crews?

There is no hand off.  All of our machines are run by cell controllers so the operators come in, read and follow the instructions as pallets come down, and things run.  The leadership team (ownership, me) works five days a week to keep things coordinated.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, Chipmakr said:

@Bob W. what's the latest on this experiment?

We are slipping a little.  Spindle hours are still good but we are definitely slipping on the schedule (3-4 days?).  We currently plan to go back to business as usual for September, regroup, and see where the issues were and what can be done to fix them.  It hasn't been a disaster by any means and I do think it can be made to work but we will need to adjust how we do things a little.  That is what we have to figure out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

We are slipping a little.  Spindle hours are still good but we are definitely slipping on the schedule (3-4 days?).  We currently plan to go back to business as usual for September, regroup, and see where the issues were and what can be done to fix them.  It hasn't been a disaster by any means and I do think it can be made to work but we will need to adjust how we do things a little.  That is what we have to figure out.

Really awesome leadership, going through this work to make your company a better workplace!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
On 8/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, Bob W. said:

I am curious about this experiment! I love it, and one of the reasons I don't work in production is that many owners simply expect you to work 60 hours as if it is normal. Once in awhile for a push is fine but not every week.

What type of spindle up time are you aiming for? 70%?

Have you considered 4 10s as an option as well?

• Like 1

Our goal is to grow through automation, not necessarily adding labor.  We leverage our employees time through improving and automating processes to reduce labor in parts and increase their productivity.  An example is we have our mill turn semi-finishing, probing, comping the tool, and finishing the feature all automatically.  I know this is nothing new but we actively identify challenging or time consuming features and improve the process to reduce labor and increase process reliability.  On production parts we have put significant effort into deburring on the machine and some deburr toolpaths are pretty involved but the result is reducing the labor in each part by a few hours so our deburr department can work on other things. 

These improvements aren't geared toward eliminating people, they are geared towards growing sales with the people we have.  The issue in this last month was in rework cycles.  If a feature is .0005" out and it is an expensive titanium casting it isn't going back into the machine to be fixed, it gets stoned by a craftsman.  We need to reduce/ eliminate the rework cycles through more robust processes going forward.  That was the hang up on this.  It isn't easy because often a feature is out because a casting relieves a little during machining so that has to be accounted for.  It is never ending...  Also we only have one operator for our NTX2000 mill-turn so having that sit every Friday wasn't good.  That machine produces ~$4k per day...

With our three Makino HMCs we are shooting for 250 spindle cut hours per week.  Our record (with some OT) was 320 in one week, single shift.

• Like 6