Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Blade Expert

G1CNC

Hi guys

Some help if possible. See attached.

Blade expert is having trouble roughing this impeller and won't go to full depth using a bullnose cutter.

I'm guessing its because the impeller isn't your normal shape and blade expert is getting confused? Note the small vanes in the middle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

As Dylan mentioned, without the file it's hard to be of too much help, but with that much overlap, I'd take a close look at your clearances, side tilt, and lead angle.  By default, the minimum lead is 0, but sometimes you have to lead a bit as the tool tilts to get under that overlap from the main blade.  Try something crazy like allowing -45 to 45 lead angle and 90° of side tilt and see if that solves it.  If it doesn't, it's probably your clearance amounts.

If the lead/lag or side tilt solves it, then dial it back down to see what it needs.

Remember that the problem with roughing is that you're leaving stock on the blades, so even though it looks like the tool "Should" fit through the slot, the slot is smaller by X on all edges from the stock left on the blades.

• Like 3
On 8/13/2021 at 9:15 AM, crazy^millman said:

I reviewed the file and reminds me why I don't like the way Blade Expert finishes the blades. Here I prefer the way 5 Axis Morph Between 2 Curves does it using the upper and lower curves to blend the finish. 5 Axis Parallel is also a solid choice for finishing the blades.

Are you saying that you don't use BE at all? Or just for the finishing? Morph does seem like a good option

On 8/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, crazy^millman said:

I reviewed the file and reminds me why I don't like the way Blade Expert finishes the blades. Here I prefer the way 5 Axis Morph Between 2 Curves does it using the upper and lower curves to blend the finish. 5 Axis Parallel is also a solid choice for finishing the blades.

This is even if using Morph Between Shroud and Hub? See picture below. This opens up a new surface selection on the Part Definition page for a Shroud surface- IE, you could have a revolved "Lampshade" that represents the outer extent of your blades, and the blade finishing would blend between this and the blade root in the exact manner that a Morph would with the same blade extents selected.

BF1.thumb.jpg.bf9d655d0007471efa0096f9ac240eff.jpg

21 hours ago, Chally72 said:

This is even if using Morph Between Shroud and Hub? See picture below. This opens up a new surface selection on the Part Definition page for a Shroud surface- IE, you could have a revolved "Lampshade" that represents the outer extent of your blades, and the blade finishing would blend between this and the blade root in the exact manner that a Morph would with the same blade extents selected.

BF1.thumb.jpg.bf9d655d0007471efa0096f9ac240eff.jpg

Dylan, thank you been a while since I looked at BE. Why I am willing to make some of the comments I make from time to time. I like many others have things to learn and glad to be educated by others who have more experience or knowledge about things I don’t. Now I have learned another thing so win-win. 🤓🤓

• Like 1