Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Posting sub programs

Michael Sullivan

2 hours ago, neurosis said:

I like to contribute something at least once every 5 years  :D  

To be honest, when you mentioned the subprogram button in the drilling operation linking parameters, I remember that transform had the subroutine built in.  I just played off of your suggestion. 

Hey Dave,

I quoted this reply, because it is shorter. But look at the Subroutine NC Code. There is a 0.0001 "flutter" in the Z axis moves. This is likely a rounding issue with Windows. 

Try adding:

round_opt$ : 11

or

round_opt$: 21

At the top of the Post. This tells MP to signal Windows to use a different math routine for more accurate rounding...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

As a US Tax payer I give you permission to appropriately option your machine. The time you spend fiddlefarting around instead will be paid for in short order. :cheers:

The memory in your FANUC control is not the same as the memory in your PC. We've had this this discussion here several times at least ad nauseum. Your FANUC control is designed to operate without fail for decades. The iron may be another story. FANUC takes it's MTBF numbers VERY stats seriously. It's more reliable than server memory. It is also an SRAM type of memory whereas your computer is DRAM. The SRAM is the cache memory on your CPU, and your CPU's MAX memory is 16MB. I don't hear anyone complaining about the cost of a CPU chip with 16MB of cache. :rofl:

I started working in a shop that uses all FANUC controls and coming from a shop that used nothing but HAAS. I was curious as to why the memory was so limited on these machines and this makes a lot of sense.  Learn something new everyday here.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

The  best discussions on this forum are always spawned by someone asking a good question. Sometimes it is the simplest of tasks that really shows how much power is built into Mastercam by default. Many people have contributed amazing information over the years. I dearly miss Tim Markoski.

Indeed. Tim and his experience is sorely missed in the industry.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, alexlikesyou said:

I started working in a shop that uses all FANUC controls and coming from a shop that used nothing but HAAS. I was curious as to why the memory was so limited on these machines and this makes a lot of sense.  Learn something new everyday here.

As a machinist I learned controls from a certain perspective and learned the interface. Once I went to work for a machine tool builder and then a machine tool distributor I learned the control from the under the hood perspective. Almost like the way a mechanic learns the inner workings of an engine. I'm still learning every single day (thankfully). There's a few classes I want to take a FANUC. Just figuring out how to justify (how the knowledge will pay for itself) it to my company. :)

Keep learning.

• Like 3

..reading pages and pages of replies on forums about subroutines, looking at hundreds of lines of code from other internauts and explanations on how to make custom cycles..

.... meanwhile on an advanced controller a guy at machine writes interactively one line of code:

CYCLE90(1,0.1,0.05,-0.75,,0.4375,0.385,0.05,10,2,0,1.4643,1.5113)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grievous said:

..reading pages and pages of replies on forums about subroutines, looking at hundreds of lines of code from other internauts and explanations on how to make custom cycles..

.... meanwhile on an advanced controller a guy at machine writes interactively one line of code:

CYCLE90(1,0.1,0.05,-0.75,,0.4375,0.385,0.05,10,2,0,1.4643,1.5113)

Some of us are just stuck with what customers use or have and make what they have work the best we can. :thumbup:

• Like 1
On 8/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, cncappsjames said:

As a US Tax payer I give you permission to appropriately option your machine. The time you spend fiddlefarting around instead will be paid for in short order. :cheers:

The memory in your FANUC control is not the same as the memory in your PC. We've had this this discussion here several times at least ad nauseum. Your FANUC control is designed to operate without fail for decades. The iron may be another story. FANUC takes it's MTBF numbers VERY stats seriously. It's more reliable than server memory. It is also an SRAM type of memory whereas your computer is DRAM. The SRAM is the cache memory on your CPU, and your CPU's MAX memory is 16MB. I don't hear anyone complaining about the cost of a CPU chip with 16MB of cache. :rofl:

lol.
Unfortunately, this sort of decision is “above our pay grade” as they say. They make blanket rules for government facilities and expect no deviations even when resources suggest a necessity for flexibility.

I will be sure to pass on your recommendations to “the man” but as they also like to say here, this would take an act of Congress to change. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Grievous said:

..... meanwhile on an advanced controller a guy at machine writes interactively one line of code...

"advanced" is a relative term, and there are several different ways one can do exactly that on the control you are most likely trashing. Just because a lot of people may not know doesn't speak to the lack of functionality, it just speaks to the lack of training.

All those commas... that would be gibberish to somebody that's never been trained. So much for an "advanced" control.

15 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

"advanced" is a relative term, and there are several different ways one can do exactly that on the control you are most likely trashing. Just because a lot of people may not know doesn't speak to the lack of functionality, it just speaks to the lack of training.

All those commas... that would be gibberish to somebody that's never been trained. So much for an "advanced" control.

Well what is really great when they have 22 commas in the book and all documentation, but then someone updates the control to use 30 commas and never tells anyone. Then the company can never get it working correctly. The manufacture of the advance control isn't sure what the extra commas mean and the dumb contractor that is non union has to come in and try to figure it out. They do and then are called crazy because what was allowing 48 hours of overtime at 1-1/2 and 2 times normal pay on weekends just went away for said union guys because the machine is no longer down for unexpected reasons because someone figured out what those extra 8 commas mean. What is crazy is you can't make this stuff up even if you tried.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

Yes, and don't forget that "everything is done with a subroutine", and there are multiple levels: Control Builder > MTB > System > User > Unicorn, where each "subroutine layer" can then call another internal subroutine, while passing a bunch of variables.

If you ever dig into the Siemens 840D Control File from Vericut, it is sooooo many subroutines, and variables. Again, System, MTB, and User variables.

With power; comes complexity. That said; I do really like the way that Siemens handles machine attachments; specifically angled-heads. I have yet to see an "easy" solution to setting up and programming a Right-Angled Head with Dynamic Codes (TWP & TCP), using full 5-Axis on a Fanuc. I'm sure there is a way. I would imagine that Fanuc has probably done this 100's of times over the years, and there are actually Control Options + NC Code, which would allow you to program a tool in 3D Space, with multiple offsets.

At least with Fanuc, the controls and PMC's are pretty plug-and-play, and also darn-near bulletproof.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2021 at 3:03 PM, cncappsjames said:

Even a person without training can learn what is does or change that cycle , choosing different cutting strategies climb/conventional, top to bottom and vice-versa, multiple cuts...etc..and that, right at the controller by hitting one key, witch will trigger a pop up window with every info u might want about every parameter and with pictorials also. Your  reply is hypocritical and shows a lack of knowledge. I guess creating subroutines and pages of code or custom macros so that the guy at machine can't do nothing or know sh..t of what he's doing is not gibberish?

Meanwhile back at the ranch... FANUC Custom MACRO B can do pretty much whatever someone wants to do with it. Create your own G-Codes, M-Codes, modal, non-modal MACRO calls, sub programs, sub-routines, IF/THEN/WHILE/DO loops, etc., etc., etc... ad infinitum. 

What one chooses to do/not do is completely up to them. Some people like Apple, some people like Android. I'd rather put lit cigarettes in my eyes than use Apple's crap. 

• Haha 2