Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sandvik acquires CNC Software

gcode

Sandvik press release

This is  quite a surprise 

Sandvik has signed an agreement to acquire US-based CNC Software Inc., a leading provider of CAD/CAM software solutions for manufacturing industries and the company behind Mastercam, the most widely used Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) brand in the industry. CNC Software will be reported in the Design & Planning Automation division within Sandvik Manufacturing and Machining Solutions.

By acquiring CNC Software, Sandvik gains a world-class CAM brand in the Mastercam software suite with an installed base of around 270,000 licenses/users, the largest in the industry, as well as a strong market reseller network and well-established partnerships with leading machine makers and tooling companies.

• Like 4

I don;t know the deets on the CGtech acquisition but this one won't finalize until Q4 so until 2022 you likely won't even notice anything. When Mcam 2023 is released, well thats when the true colors will be shown. I hope those colors are very similar to the colors we see now!

Im conflicted with things like this bcuz 2 things can happen - 1 is the ADSK vision where everything sucks. Option 2 is that now you have this company backing you with basically infinite capital and resources that can really allow for some aggressive product development and enhancement much faster than if you were a smaller fish. You can only hire so much talent so fast before you over extend your company.

Hoping we see option 2 here...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

They need to purchase Verisurf for the Metrology and Moduleworks for the Advanced 5 Axis and they will have a extremely powerful group under their roof.

Moduleworks are the real kings here, no? They have all the beautiful algorithms that everyone loves and uses! Serious toolpath control as well

4 minutes ago, JoshC said:

If anyone's curious sandvik trades under the following tickers $SDVKY and $SDVKF. I should have some shares when my order executers tomorrow.

I dont normally buy OTC's but if they are acquiring CNC software im interested.

I purchased awhile ago and I got SDVKY...I honestly can't figure it out myself. Same divisions? Different divisions? Can't figure it out.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Moduleworks are the real kings here, no? They have all the beautiful algorithms that everyone loves and uses! Serious toolpath control as well

I purchased awhile ago and I got SDVKY...I honestly can't figure it out myself. Same divisions? Different divisions? Can't figure it out.

$SDVKY is just the ADR version,

"

American Depositary Receipt (ADR)

An ADR (American Depositary Receipt) is a receipt for shares of foreign-based companies that entitles the receipt holder to all dividends and capital gains. ADRs allow Americans to buy shares of foreign-based corporations' securities on American exchanges instead of having to go to overseas exchanges.

"

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/adr.asp

• Thanks 2

Damn. This was a big surprise. Sandvik is a huge player in my country, as its main HQ resides next to us.

Generally I don't like the prices of Sandvik and how they seem to rise faster than the competitors, for example, the new indexable drills and X1BM carbide drills are more expensive than the older ones. No doubt they are good, but we have found better price/quality ratio elsewhere in many tool categories.

Hopefully the makers of gibbs and cnc have some collaboration; the former (IMO) has a better grasp of how do design an intuitive and fluid UI (used the software about 10 years ago).

9 hours ago, mwearne said:

Do they keep both Gibbs and Mastercam alive? Roll one into the other? Morph into something new? Or just keep on keepin on with everything the way it is?

Short term nothing will change...long term plan who knows. Mastercam in itself looks profitable with a large user base.

It would be nice to see things transition to a kinetic aware based system since they own Vericut this is possible or by buying Module Works as Ron suggested (Machsim).

• Like 2
4 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Short term nothing will change...long term plan who knows. Mastercam in itself looks profitable with a large user base.

It would be nice to see things transition to a kinetic aware based system since they own Vericut this is possible or by buying Module Works as Ron suggested (Machsim).

Yea I'll be honest I have a hard time seeing Sandvik pull the ADSK route and nuke product lines by rolling them into a single product (Fusion), but who knows? Could theoretically happen, but Sandvik is no Autodesk. I would be interested to see if this affects Mastercam's millturn line...from what I gather it still has a lot to gain on a software like Esprit in that realm.

1 minute ago, Metallic said:

I would be interested to see if this affects Mastercam's millturn line...from what I gather it still has a lot to gain on a software like Esprit in that realm.

If Sandvik is going to take an active role managing MC, they will push very hard to become the best in the industry at MT.  It will take time, and lots of moving pieces would need to come together and mesh (finally), but maybe that's what the product needs in order to become widely accepted in industry.  From my dealings with it, it's close, but customers don't have enough dealings with it to understand how to get up and running with it efficiently yet.  Too much reliance on CNC to provide post support, CNC likely isn't getting the feedback they need to make the proper post/environment improvements. 

Maybe Sandvik can help bridge between builders and CNC to help solidify the post processor development and software capability development activities.

One can hope anyway. 

I'm going to try to stay positive about this, but at the same time, I'm sad that they have agreed to sell out.  I'm sure it was too much money to say no to.  Curious if the family will stay at the helm long term, or if they will bow out completely.

• Like 1