Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sandvik acquires CNC Software

gcode

40 minutes ago, JParis said:

From what I have heard, CNC Software will continue to operate as its own entity...I guess we'll see how that plays out of the short & longer terms

From what I understand, Sandvik has a good history of letting acquisitions operate as usual, under their own umbrella.

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

From what I understand, Sandvik has a good history of letting acquisitions operate as usual, under their own umbrella.

They also have a good development record, I knew right away when I saw the Prime Turning Cut Patterns it was going to work well. I think it's really cool, because I remember being a Cnc operator and the chips getting all tangled up like in the video, I know some users had concerns about the part getting pulled out if the tool broke, I guess maybe it would be risky on large parts, anyway still super cool!

On 8/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, Thee Kid™ said:

They also have a good development record, I knew right away when I saw the Prime Turning Cut Patterns it was going to work well. I think it's really cool, because I remember being a Cnc operator and the chips getting all tangled up like in the video, I know some users had concerns about the part getting pulled out if the tool broke, I guess maybe it would be risky on large parts, anyway still super cool!

That's pretty cool, but I'm surprised to see a Haas in a european shop!!

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, GoetzInd said:

Can't really see an upside for the end user. Hopefully they keep it relatively autonomous. So far so good w/ CG tech (although it hasn't even been a year).

Mike 

'With CGTech’s ongoing commitment and investment to drive innovation, we are announcing an increase of our software maintenance rate from 15% to 17% effective January 1, 2022. This update reflects the first maintenance increase in CGTech history.' (10/01/21)

4 minutes ago, pete_hull said:

With CGTech’s ongoing commitment and investment to drive innovation, we are announcing an increase of our software maintenance rate from 15% to 17% effective January 1, 2022. This update reflects the first maintenance increase in CGTech history.' (10/01/21)

Just got that email!!!

Considering it's a very modest 2% increase... that's not even keeping pace with inflation. VERY reasonable IMHO.

My healthcare benefit went up 6.1% this year. It's gone up 37% in the last 8 years... AND I get less for it.

With CG Tech, you know you're at least getting a quality product that will continue to develop and add value.

1 hour ago, David Colin said:

I just got it too as it's an international increase. May we say thank you Sandvik?

That's "Thank you sir may I have another."

:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

When you can lease it cheaper per year than the maintenance cost become then they have succeed in doing away with a puerperal license. Then they can start raising the price like AD and tell you to take another one.  😉

At the present time, a Mastercam subscription is far more expensive than a perpetual license.

If you need a couple of seats for a big project, it's an option but for long term use, the perpetual license is a far better deal

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

They are also throwing in free training every year with each maintenance seat.  Something I don't think they did before.

No they didn't offer that before. I can train a Mastercam person in about 2 hours how to use Vericut proficiently. I trained a programmer this week for at a Customer and he was up and running his 5 Axis Vericut session. I said proficient I didn't say had everything figured out, but different guy spent 4 days at their training and came back scratching his head didn't want to even try to use it. I spent one hour with him and he was like why don't they teach it like you do? I said I have no idea. He said the instructor spent about 20 minutes going through the interface and then moved on. I laughed and said yes most use to snob their nose at Mastercam, but know that they are all owned by the same company that is not going to fly anymore. 

26 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I can train a Mastercam person in about 2 hours how to use Vericut proficiently

Is that using template setups / matercam interface and loading stuff that way, or building setups and whatnot in vericut manually?

I have personally never used the mastercam interface except oobserving when working with customers that have it...  We don't have a license for the interface.  I used to use vericut all the time, but completely standalone.  If I was in a hurry I would build it out in mastercam, send it to the customer I was working with and have them use the interface to build me a template, then I would work the vericut file from there.  That was my shortcut to get tools and fixtures located.

I thought their training was actually pretty good.  Though I wouldn't say I'm an average student as far as picking up new software.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:20 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

Is that using template setups / matercam interface and loading stuff that way, or building setups and whatnot in vericut manually?

I have personally never used the mastercam interface except oobserving when working with customers that have it...  We don't have a license for the interface.  I used to use vericut all the time, but completely standalone.  If I was in a hurry I would build it out in mastercam, send it to the customer I was working with and have them use the interface to build me a template, then I would work the vericut file from there.  That was my shortcut to get tools and fixtures located.

I thought their training was actually pretty good.  Though I wouldn't say I'm an average student as far as picking up new software.

Templates and Interface. The templates are made for a reason. The interface is worth its weight in gold. You already spent all the time building everything in Mastercam and using the interface takes all that hard work and allows you to use it. I create a dummy folder to dump things into after I have the Vericut file created. Then I can keep programming adding to the file and not have to reload every time I add or make changes to tools or other things. One trick I teach people is save all the fixtures to one file verses the pick them all through the interface. Or make them all into one solid in Mastercam and grab it through the Interface. I took the Machine Builder class and it was a good class. I have never taken the training class, but everything they use to teach that class comes in the welcome screen.

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, #Rekd™ said:

Short term nothing will change...long term plan who knows. Mastercam in itself looks profitable with a large user base.

It would be nice to see things transition to a kinetic aware based system since they own Vericut this is possible or by buying Module Works as Ron suggested (Machsim).

What is this kinetic awareness?

Screenshot 07-26-2022 10.54.29.png

2 minutes ago, cruzila said:

What is this kinetic awareness?

This means that with a Machine Definition set up with proper travel distances, addresses, rotational directions, that Mastercam could be aware of what toolpaths settings won't work on that machine that is being programmed...it would also allow backploy/Mach Simualtion to be more accurate

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1