Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MP Post Logic changes

I seem to recall in a webinar or lesson from some advanced member here that the MPPost logic format was going to be faded out eventually. I think that was mentioned several years ago and was curious if anyone knew anything about that. It was said "itll happen in a few years"....welp it has been a few years! From my understanding they were going to consolidate all kinds of legacy coding logic under a new "system" so to speak. I am no coder so I apologize if my terms are wrong.

Or maybe I am misremembering?

On 8/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, Metallic said:

I seem to recall in a webinar or lesson from some advanced member here that the MPPost logic format was going to be faded out eventually. I think that was mentioned several years ago and was curious if anyone knew anything about that. It was said "itll happen in a few years"....welp it has been a few years! From my understanding they were going to consolidate all kinds of legacy coding logic under a new "system" so to speak. I am no coder so I apologize if my terms are wrong.

Or maybe I am misremembering?

MP.NET is the new language which is being used to develop Mill-Turn .Machine (Dot Machine) files, that work inside Mastercam Extensions. (Simulation/Posting Layer)

For now, we're still blessed with having full access to the MP Posts.

And while MP is still "good-old-MP-Script-based-coding", there have been some dramatic enhancements in the last 5-10 years. There are a lot of new tools available in MP which make a Post Developer's job much easier these days. But it also leads to a conflict of having "the old way", and "the new way" available. I tend to default to "the old way" for many things, as I just don't get much time these days to do develop Posts. Posts Editing is still a joy when I have the opportunity to engage in it.

CNC Software has got some great "New Posts" available on the Tech Exchange. There is a Fanuc 5X Post, which comes with both a A/C Machine Definition, and a B/C Machine Definition. It supports Tilted Work Plane (G68.2), Tool Center Point Control (G43.4/G43.5), and WSEC (G54.4). This is a Post that CNC Software charges a fee to use, but it is a great starting point for any users that "need those Dynamic NC Code options", and don't have the knowledge to build their own Post using the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post as a starting point. (You can modify the Gen Fan 5X Mill Post to support these codes, but it requires a lot of work.)

15 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

MP.NET is the new language which is being used to develop Mill-Turn .Machine (Dot Machine) files, that work inside Mastercam Extensions. (Simulation/Posting Layer)

For now, we're still blessed with having full access to the MP Posts.

And while MP is still "good-old-MP-Script-based-coding", there have been some dramatic enhancements in the last 5-10 years. There are a lot of new tools available in MP which make a Post Developer's job much easier these days. But it also leads to a conflict of having "the old way", and "the new way" available. I tend to default to "the old way" for many things, as I just don't get much time these days to do develop Posts. Posts Editing is still a joy when I have the opportunity to engage in it.

CNC Software has got some great "New Posts" available on the Tech Exchange. There is a Fanuc 5X Post, which comes with both a A/C Machine Definition, and a B/C Machine Definition. It supports Tilted Work Plane (G68.2), Tool Center Point Control (G43.4/G43.5), and WSEC (G54.4). This is a Post that CNC Software charges a fee to use, but it is a great starting point for any users that "need those Dynamic NC Code options", and don't have the knowledge to build their own Post using the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post as a starting point. (You can modify the Gen Fan 5X Mill Post to support these codes, but it requires a lot of work.)

Hi Colin, I don't see the Fanuc 5X post that supports TWP and TCPC in Tech Exchange. I only found the Generic 5axis post.