Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Automatic Regions Chaining

Had a training/2022 upgrade session 2 weeks ago, and have not gone a single project without using auto regions. Becoming just another step for setups in my book. It improves the selection process with such speed it feels like cheating sometimes, and the expand region (don't know if it was there before or not in the old dialog) is doing wonders for sharp outside corners on vertical walls.

Especially if you're someone who is still laying down wires, don't overlook this tool!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Had a training/2022 upgrade session 2 weeks ago, and have not gone a single project without using auto regions. Becoming just another step for setups in my book. It improves the selection process with such speed it feels like cheating sometimes, and the expand region (don't know if it was there before or not in the old dialog) is doing wonders for sharp outside corners on vertical walls.

Especially if you're someone who is still laying down wires, don't overlook this tool!

It has been a real game changer for me as well!

Once you get adjusted and used to the new features, basically you can't go back.

It is like an egg - you can't unscramble the egg!

My favorite has been the Unified multiaxis toolpath. Total gamechanger for me.

Autochaining is one I haven't had an application for yet but I intend to heavily use

On 8/30/2021 at 8:11 AM, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Can you elaborate on this? I just posted a topic on sharp external corners

15 hours ago, Metallic said:

Once you get adjusted and used to the new features, basically you can't go back.

It is like an egg - you can't unscramble the egg!

My favorite has been the Unified multiaxis toolpath. Total gamechanger for me.

Autochaining is one I haven't had an application for yet but I intend to heavily use

Can you elaborate on this? I just posted a topic on sharp external corners

For sure, it's the Expand Region option that I love. Forgive me though, as I may have misrepresented my position - I considered the edges shown below 'outside corners' as far as an open pocket is concerned. We get them a lot here. Below I have a super simple example of the Expand Regions checkbox on the Auto Chain dialog, just adds a little to the material to be cut and follows your avoidance selection, part geo, etc. It's a quick way of keeping the vertical highlighted from getting sharp, saves some deburring time, and dodges a few finger slices.

The time saver for me is not having to set up a separate contour path after the pocket routine (finishing not withstanding). It's a small thing here, but a more complex part will benefit. As will parts with many pockets, or nested pockets. I'm making a genuine effort to use solid geo for my selections, and this tool is helping me reduce or eliminate laying down wireframes on my parts.

Region_Geo.png

Region_NoExpand.png

Region_Expand.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, SuperHoneyBadger said:

For sure, it's the Expand Region option that I love. Forgive me though, as I may have misrepresented my position - I considered the edges shown below 'outside corners' as far as an open pocket is concerned. We get them a lot here. Below I have a super simple example of the Expand Regions checkbox on the Auto Chain dialog, just adds a little to the material to be cut and follows your avoidance selection, part geo, etc. It's a quick way of keeping the vertical highlighted from getting sharp, saves some deburring time, and dodges a few finger slices.

The time saver for me is not having to set up a separate contour path after the pocket routine (finishing not withstanding). It's a small thing here, but a more complex part will benefit. As will parts with many pockets, or nested pockets. I'm making a genuine effort to use solid geo for my selections, and this tool is helping me reduce or eliminate laying down wireframes on my parts.

Region_Geo.png

Region_NoExpand.png

Region_Expand.png

Thanks for sharing this, i hadnt tried it before now