Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to Mastercam - Need help with cutting around areas

I'm trying to learn Mastercam and want to figure out how to end up with the part shown.  It's just a quick shape to try and learn how to blend the tools together.  My starting stock is the length and width of the large rectangular area and the height of the stock is the top of the cylinder to the bottom of the main rectangle and would be made of wood.  My first steps have been to do a rough and finish pass around the curved surface that meets up with the main rectangular block and the results are as expected, one block sitting on top of another.  I'm lost as to where to go next.  With our current license I'm limited to one face selection so if I try and do something like a flowline on that curved surface I have no way that I can see to tell Mastercam that the cylinder area is an avoidance area so flowline will just cut through all of it.  The curved surface looks good but not quite what I'm looking for since it's cutting through the cylinder.  Any insight into how to tackle making this shape would be appreciated!  A jpeg and STEP file are attached in case anyone wants to play around with the part.  Thanks.

1133918636_SamplePart.thumb.JPG.dbe6cedb7bc9c03589839a55b8b8488c.JPGPattern 03.STEP

49 minutes ago, Ian - Robinson said:

I'm trying to learn Mastercam and want to figure out how to end up with the part shown.  It's just a quick shape to try and learn how to blend the tools together.  My starting stock is the length and width of the large rectangular area and the height of the stock is the top of the cylinder to the bottom of the main rectangle and would be made of wood.  My first steps have been to do a rough and finish pass around the curved surface that meets up with the main rectangular block and the results are as expected, one block sitting on top of another.  I'm lost as to where to go next.  With our current license I'm limited to one face selection so if I try and do something like a flowline on that curved surface I have no way that I can see to tell Mastercam that the cylinder area is an avoidance area so flowline will just cut through all of it.  The curved surface looks good but not quite what I'm looking for since it's cutting through the cylinder.  Any insight into how to tackle making this shape would be appreciated!  A jpeg and STEP file are attached in case anyone wants to play around with the part.  Thanks.

1133918636_SamplePart.thumb.JPG.dbe6cedb7bc9c03589839a55b8b8488c.JPGPattern 03.STEP

In flowline there are check surfaces use that Cylinder as a check surface and it will be avoided.

What kind of machien are you making programs for? 3, 4 or 5 Axis?

What is the starting stock?

{edited}

Edited by crazy^millman
  • Like 1

Here's one attempt where I tried cutting around the cylinder first using several lofts, then was going to come back around and try flowline.  When I pick the vertical surface of the cylinder for a check surface I get the attached error message and in one of the pics you can see the tool path when I still proceed with the operation.  The orange surface was just used for projecting my curves when doing all the lofts.

The company I'm at bought a Laguna IQ Pro router, so just a 3 axis cnc.  The guy that was operating the machine left so here I am attempting to fill the void.  The extent of my cnc programming has been 2d stuff making cabinet end panels out of 4x8 sheets and things like that.

The other attached picture should show what I have set up for stock.

image.thumb.png.982ea686806f549bdf6305d6ec4ce8f7.pngimage.thumb.png.84ff5d587ec9938dee8efd1a1ea4f46f.png

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Ian - Robinson said:

Here's one attempt where I tried cutting around the cylinder first using several lofts, then was going to come back around and try flowline.  When I pick the vertical surface of the cylinder for a check surface I get the attached error message and in one of the pics you can see the tool path when I still proceed with the operation.  The orange surface was just used for projecting my curves when doing all the lofts.

The company I'm at bought a Laguna IQ Pro router, so just a 3 axis cnc.  The guy that was operating the machine left so here I am attempting to fill the void.  The extent of my cnc programming has been 2d stuff making cabinet end panels out of 4x8 sheets and things like that.

The other attached picture should show what I have set up for stock.

image.thumb.png.982ea686806f549bdf6305d6ec4ce8f7.pngimage.thumb.png.84ff5d587ec9938dee8efd1a1ea4f46f.png

You hit okay and have a nice day. That is just an alert not an error message.