Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NEW PLANE CREATION AND ROTATING

AWL304

I have created multiple different planes from multiple surfaces of a solid model. we now we are moving the job from one machine to another,

where now the top plane needs to be the front or whatever. but after translating and rotating things to their new place, the created planes do not move/follow the origan from where they were created.

There must be a way for the custom planes to stay relative to a surface or model it was created from. Or is there a way planes should be created from the start

next time so this process is easier to transition?

9 minutes ago, AWL304 said:

I have created multiple different planes from multiple surfaces of a solid model. we now we are moving the job from one machine to another,

where now the top plane needs to be the front or whatever. but after translating and rotating things to their new place, the created planes do not move/follow the origan from where they were created.

There must be a way for the custom planes to stay relative to a surface or model it was created from. Or is there a way planes should be created from the start

Use geometry as a constructor when you instantiate your planes..

image.png.fdd0e3d73d0a66dbfd5433dc4f3ff06f.png

36 minutes ago, AWL304 said:

You can use the origin icon at the bottom of the planes manager to associate the planes origin to a geometry element. Then when you relocate the geometry, the plane follows it.

Associative.thumb.PNG.13ae0b2024c932da245266c4686a7c72.PNG

This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the new parent/child plane relationships that you can build in Mastercam 2022. Even if not associated to geometry, planes can be linked to each other such that when the parent plane is moved (translated/rotated) the child planes will all move with it.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the new parent/child plane relationships that you can build in Mastercam 2022. Even if not associated to geometry, planes can be linked to each other such that when the parent plane is moved (translated/rotated) the child planes will all move with it.

And I'm stuck with 2021.  It's an IT thing.:wallbash:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, Chally72 said:

Dylan , this was I was thinking as I was reading down. great opportunity for this.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, Chally72 said:

Looks like the Mastercam chook sdk was updated as well,

I suppose this wasn't there before, 

bool LinkPlane(long parentID, long dependentID);
//Makes one plane dependent on another.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, Fred @ Slate Industries said:

Scary at first , but it's what we're looking for . I don't know how easy it is to un tangle it back if needed...

You can easily edit a plane at any time and unlink it. You can furthermore have a parent plane that is associative to a piece of geometry, and then child planes that are all linked to that parent plane with different relative offsets, and if down the line you do something like Move or push/pull that associative geometry, all planes will correctly move to follow.

• Like 3
On 9/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, Chally72 said:

Hey Dylan I was just curious if this applies when creating planes via the "dynamic plane" option. Usualy when I am creating planes I have historically just dragged the Gnomon from the bottom left of the graphics window and applied it to my model in whatever orientation I want. I like this because I can do Autocursor to "face center" to get a plane on an angled face where I don't know the exact rotation angle.

Would the parent-child relationship respect that plane creation method if I then go rotating/mirroring models?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Metallic said:

Hey Dylan I was just curious if this applies when creating planes via the "dynamic plane" option. Usualy when I am creating planes I have historically just dragged the Gnomon from the bottom left of the graphics window and applied it to my model in whatever orientation I want. I like this because I can do Autocursor to "face center" to get a plane on an angled face where I don't know the exact rotation angle.

Would the parent-child relationship respect that plane creation method if I then go rotating/mirroring models?

Thanks!

I made a little video to talk about creating, linking, and associating planes. There's a much better video coming on our official channel later this year, but this gives you all the important info about the cool stuff you can do with plane linking in 2022:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

I made a little video to talk about creating, linking, and associating planes. There's a much better video coming on our official channel later this year, but this gives you all the important info about the cool stuff you can do with plane linking in 2022:

Good video thanks

6 hours ago, Chally72 said:

Dylan I feel like i should be paying you, great video. You're going above and beyond! The videos and the added presence on the forum from several of the Mastercam application engineers has really been a nice breath of fresh air. I'm continuing to learn a ton just by reading through the documentation and the videos

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Great Video!

Slightly off topic, but what setting keeps the X,Y,Z Gnome visible at all times.  Somehow I've gotten mine configured where you have to hover over it for it to be visible.  This is even after I toggle that X,Y,Z gnome button in the planes manager.

Seems like I have tried every damn setting lol, 2021 wasn't like this.

1 hour ago, Rstewart said:

Great Video!

Slightly off topic, but what setting keeps the X,Y,Z Gnome visible at all times.  Somehow I've gotten mine configured where you have to hover over it for it to be visible.  This is even after I toggle that X,Y,Z gnome button in the planes manager.

Seems like I have tried every damn setting lol, 2021 wasn't like this.

image.png.8a0f5fff3794c02819037330d569cfa5.png

1 hour ago, cncchristalsco said:

alt+F9 (show gnomons) 

click on down arrow next to it and select "selected planes"

on your planes tab you can choose what plane you want to display under "display"

Thanks, i know that. I want it to remain OFF without having to manually do it each program I have open. Not sure if that is possible

On 9/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Metallic said:

Dylan I feel like i should be paying you, great video. You're going above and beyond! The videos and the added presence on the forum from several of the Mastercam application engineers has really been a nice breath of fresh air. I'm continuing to learn a ton just by reading through the documentation and the videos

Same here.