Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

vise orientation and bounding box edit

sendithard

Still a rookie at MC. Ive got three basic questions and appreciate the help.

1) First, when I have my stock aligned to the original gnomon, with z up, I then select merge and import a vise step file. I choose dynamic and place a new gnomon on the back jaw parallel, hopefully centered. I don't see any indication in MC that you are centered. It 'seems' to snap to a center, but I have to go to home and use analyze distance to verify. Then I spin the part and play this movement game until I get close then again it seems to snap to center on the stock bottom center edge. Again, I analyze to verify. Is there a more productive, precise way about this?

2) For those that are doing this from time to time, would it be best to include my stock in my parametric vise file so that when I import my vise in it come with the stock already perfectly set via my CAD program. This seems like the most productive and easiest way to now play movement games inside of MC.

3) I don't understand MC yet b/c there isn't a history tree so to speak. If I wireframe a bounding box as stock, I simply cannot find a way to then edit the bounding box a little larger. For this reason I have been just importing my stock for now.  can you edit your bounding box once created and is this how everyone is building stock or are they importing a step file for the stock?

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Question one, use your geometry snaps to pick mid point, end, arc center etc.

Question two: I usually create a solid for my stock and manipulate my vise to meet my stock and parallels. I have my vise so that the moveable jaw and it’s components are on one level and the rest of the vise on another. This makes moving the moveable jaw easy to fit the stock. Once completed I move all the vice geometry to one level.

Question three: I would just delete the bounding box and create a new one if I needed to as it only takes a couple of clicks. Keeping your geometry on separate levels and labeled is the key.

Another pro tip is to use colours to make it easier to select certain geometry when needed. Also use the quick masks as well as they as really useful.

If you need help just post a valid Mastercam file and you will get many people trying to help you. This forum is excellent for getting help.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Jespertech said:

In some instances you can use the "vector from/to" within the translate function. This will allow you to grab the corner of your stock and then the point where you want to move it to. 

It's a quick solution for simple alignments. 

Also, on both the "FROM" Point, and on the "TO" Point, you can use "Relative Positioning".

What is this you may rightly ask?

• Whenever you are prompted to "Select a Point" in Mastercam, there is a secret function available, called "Relative Positioning".
  • Hold down the SHIFT key, and then click on any "Autocursor Position".
  • Mastercam will now launch an "inline function", that temporarily suspends the "Transform" (or whatever other function you are using), and puts you into a mode where "you can shift or move relative from a 'known point'. In newer versions of Mastercam (like 2022), you are presented with a Gnomon. This is a Coordinate System with functions attached.
  • To "move a relative distance" from the known point, you click on the "spindle" of one of the Gnomon Axes. If you want to shift "0.35" to the X+ direction, you'd start by clicking the X-Axis Spindle.
  • This puts you in a "dynamic ruler mode", and as you move the Gnomon +- along the active axis, you'll see the distance change on the "tape measure" or "scale".
  • If you are in the dynamic ruler mode, and then "scroll the mouse wheel forwards or backwards" (with your cursor positioned on the ruler, you'll see the hash mark scale values change.
  • The ruler is "nice", but the snap positions are typically not even number increments. (they are fraction based).
  • But, there is another trick you can do here. Pay attention as you move the Gnomon to "which way is positive/negative" as you move your mouse.
  • Now, just start typing a value. If you want to go negative, type [-.35]. If you want to go positive, just omit the negative sign when you type. [.35]. (I do like to type the Zero, just force of habit, so for me it is -0.35 or 0.35, or whatever positive or negative amount you want to move relative to that point. It can be any positive or negative decimal value.)
  • Now, once you've typed in the amount you want to move, press [ENTER] [ENTER]. (Press Enter Twice)
  • The first Enter press will "lock in the decimal number value" to the data entry field. The 2nd press will actually "accept the input", and your Gnomon will update to that "exact relative distance".
  • After moving one direction (say along X), you can then pick a different axis spindle on the Gnomon (say Y), and make a 2nd relative position move.

This "Relative Positioning Function" can be really useful in many different situations. Anywhere that Mastercam is asking you to "select a position" (some XYZ coordinate value in 3D Space), you can use this function to "shift relative to the point I'm selecting".

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Also, on both the "FROM" Point, and on the "TO" Point, you can use "Relative Positioning".

What is this you may rightly ask?

• Whenever you are prompted to "Select a Point" in Mastercam, there is a secret function available, called "Relative Positioning".
  • Hold down the SHIFT key, and then click on any "Autocursor Position".
  • Mastercam will now launch an "inline function", that temporarily suspends the "Transform" (or whatever other function you are using), and puts you into a mode where "you can shift or move relative from a 'known point'. In newer versions of Mastercam (like 2022), you are presented with a Gnomon. This is a Coordinate System with functions attached.
  • To "move a relative distance" from the known point, you click on the "spindle" of one of the Gnomon Axes. If you want to shift "0.35" to the X+ direction, you'd start by clicking the X-Axis Spindle.
  • This puts you in a "dynamic ruler mode", and as you move the Gnomon +- along the active axis, you'll see the distance change on the "tape measure" or "scale".
  • If you are in the dynamic ruler mode, and then "scroll the mouse wheel forwards or backwards" (with your cursor positioned on the ruler, you'll see the hash mark scale values change.
  • The ruler is "nice", but the snap positions are typically not even number increments. (they are fraction based).
  • But, there is another trick you can do here. Pay attention as you move the Gnomon to "which way is positive/negative" as you move your mouse.
  • Now, just start typing a value. If you want to go negative, type [-.35]. If you want to go positive, just omit the negative sign when you type. [.35]. (I do like to type the Zero, just force of habit, so for me it is -0.35 or 0.35, or whatever positive or negative amount you want to move relative to that point. It can be any positive or negative decimal value.)
  • Now, once you've typed in the amount you want to move, press [ENTER] [ENTER]. (Press Enter Twice)
  • The first Enter press will "lock in the decimal number value" to the data entry field. The 2nd press will actually "accept the input", and your Gnomon will update to that "exact relative distance".
  • After moving one direction (say along X), you can then pick a different axis spindle on the Gnomon (say Y), and make a 2nd relative position move.

This "Relative Positioning Function" can be really useful in many different situations. Anywhere that Mastercam is asking you to "select a position" (some XYZ coordinate value in 3D Space), you can use this function to "shift relative to the point I'm selecting".

Wow,I had no idea that was an option. I’m literally about to drive back to work to play with this feature. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Dynamic Transform IMHO still beat that process hands down. With the toggle back forth between Geometry and Transform placement. Just as fast with what you showed and can place it exactly on the face of the jaws at the desired depth very quickly.

Dynamic transform has saved me so much time over the years. Before I began utilizing it I was stuck manipulating my parts with 3 to 4 different functions (translate to plane, rotate, move to origin, etc.) The fact that it incorporates all of these features in one makes for one powerful tool.