Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tab help

Hi all, I'm sure this has been beat to death before, is there a way to raise my tabs from the bottom of the part?. No matter how thick I make them, when I cut the bottom of the part they get cut away because my part has steps that get cut away..  I tried moving my profile geometry to the middle of the part but the tabs always cut at the same place. I'm using X5, thank you for the help on this.

tabs.jpg

How thick is the material? The tab depth will always be programmed "from the chain depth", which would typically be at the bottom of the material.

Let's imagine your material is 0.75" thick. If you made the tab thickness 0.500 on side one, those tabs would be. 500 thick. Now flip the part over, and there is a 0.25" 'gap' underneath each tab. If you cut Side 2, with the same tab thickness (0.500), you would now have a 0.2500 thick tab, in the middle of the material. 

Repeat this with 0.400 thick tabs, and you'd be left with 0.050" thick tabs after cutting both sides.

Take 1/2 of your material thickness + 1/2 of your final tab thickness = total tab height on both sides.

My problem is, I have steps that need milled on both sides and on the top side I cut the profiles full depth and it puts the tabs at the base of the part, when I cut the steps on the bottom the tabs either get cut away, or they are monsters ha ha, I could go in and step them down I guess.

lever tabs.jpg

tabs.jpg

Untitled levers.jpg