Filtering your toolpath....

Though it it's not in a plane that can create arcs.....you can still filter but make sure your tolerances are tight...

I typically run a .0006" total...this is on a .047" ballmill with a .0025" stepover

ID5cB0n.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

As JParis says, filter.

When I do any surfacing my goto settings are... this also makes the program smaller! (metric settings)

filter.png

If you have the memory shift the points randomly

• Like 2

I've used filters for ever.  Generally I don't have the faceting problem, the main reason I use it is to make the programs smaller and because it gives smoother tool motion.   I see here that everyone seems to have One Way Filtering off, I've always had it on, without really know what it changes, or why it should be on/off.  Anybody know what that setting does different?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

I've used filters for ever.  Generally I don't have the faceting problem, the main reason I use it is to make the programs smaller and because it gives smoother tool motion.   I see here that everyone seems to have One Way Filtering off, I've always had it on, without really know what it changes, or why it should be on/off.  Anybody know what that setting does different?

I would like to know as well. Good question.

One-way Filtering is used with a Zig-zag Cut Pattern, to be sure the path is only filtered in "one-direction", of the tool motion. This means that if you are outputting Arcs in the G19 or G18 plane, that the segments of the path will have better alignment. Without this on, during Zig-zag motion, the path can be filtered in both path directions, but with output that doesn't necessarily "line up" with the last/next pass.

To be clear: it has no effect on One-way or Spiral Cut Patterns. 

• Like 1

Don't forget to set control to "free cutting mode" instead of "accurate cutting mode". It could make a huge difference. Unless, of course, there is surface tolerance.

• Like 1