Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D arc linking in Optirest

Metallic

Good afternoon,

My machine appears to be choking on 3D arc links between cuts during Optirest operations using the "minimum distance" linking parameter style. I'm sure there is a way to tighten this up so the machine doesn't choke on these moves but I am curious if you have any tips for making sure the machine is outputting clean 3 axis arc moves between cuts at the same feedrates as when it is in-cut. The controller is new and there is plenty of lookahead.

Control Definition:

image.png.a8fe1ee5ddd59463e59170e69a61dbeb.png

Arc Filter settings:

image.thumb.png.dfe55129e67aac145a8f7d3ef88bc7d7.png

Toolpath links:

image.png.c584cd631ff8cec099534690995f4d72.png

The machine can only run arcs if the motion is parallel to the XY, XZ, or YZ planes.

95% of that linking motion is point to point.  You need to loosen up the machine's look ahead tolerance.

Opening up the toolpath`s filter tolerance a couple of thou will help too

• Thanks 1

My machine didn't mine doing those moves as rapid moves.  I checked the "output feed moves"  box in linking parameters and set to my machines max federate, and it's much smoother.  

To piggyback on some of the comments made, I'm running a large aluminum part, and roughing with .050 stock left.  I have my total tolerance set to .010" in the arc filter page.  Is that too much?  Will it cause me problems?

11 hours ago, JB7280 said:

To piggyback on some of the comments made, I'm running a large aluminum part, and roughing with .050 stock left.  I have my total tolerance set to .010" in the arc filter page.  Is that too much?  Will it cause me problems?

Not as long as the machine has acceleration and deacceleration capabilities no. Now if you're running at 2000 ipm and it doesn't then yes. It is all relative to the part, speeds and feeds along with moments of inertia along with acceleration/deacceleration and other things related to the physics of what we do.

15 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Those look like rapids not feed moves. How much stock are you leaving for finish? Trying kicking up the tolerance to 1/10 to 1/5 of that amount and see how your machine handles it and how the quality of the part comes out.

Have you tried not filtering the toolpath and running it that way?

Leaving 0.03 stock for finishing. So yea bumping tolerance up is very easy to do.

12 hours ago, gcode said:

95% of that linking motion is point to point.  You need to loosen up the machine's look ahead tolerance.

Interesting...I assume this is going to be some parameter within the controller?

I will also try outputting that as feed moves and maxxing it out to see if I can get the kind of smooth motion I want. At the end of the day doing a minimum vertical retract might be fine as well, I just want to get this figured out.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Turning off arc filter works well. Turning up the tolerance also works well.

The main thing I think was outputting the High Feed rates though...it fixed the issue.

One thing I need to fix now is the plunge rate - plunge rate IS used when retracting and approaching a new cut - just in case you didn't know that. I didnt. SO bumping that up to like 300 should speed it up.

Thanks for the help

• Like 2
2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Not as long as the machine has acceleration and deacceleration capabilities no. Now if you're running at 2000 ipm and it doesn't then yes. It is all relative to the part, speeds and feeds along with moments of inertia along with acceleration/deacceleration and other things related to the physics of what we do.

Gotcha.  The machine I'm running it on is a 1 year old Matsuura, so we're good.

• Like 1