Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2022 Dynamic contour

dolphin1

31 minutes ago, dolphin1 said:

trying to do a dynamic contour on 3 sides of a part. left to right and there is a shape contour between. cant get it to work with a partial path for the avoidance. the description says it will do open contours so how do you tell it to do it.

this is with 2022

OST1277375-2.mcam

I couldn't get auto regions to work. I used the edge around 3 edges for the Machining Regions. I changed the Machining region strategy to From outside and changed the Open Chain extension to stock to shortest distance and 2nd screen for the Preview. Last is the toolpath. One other thing your feed per tooth of .0009 on the 1/4 end mil is too conservative. Might try kicking that up to .004 for the roughing then back down for the finishing.

Here is a Dropbox link: Dropbox Link to file:

image.png.bef8fcacde81d364926f4aed58e11e84.png

image.png.aba983983b605cd8ebd5aa8cfd4dfe84.png

image.png.7e3440d9d7e8ca1c0456f2d2e9b3b9a1.png

28 minutes ago, dolphin1 said:

thank you very much yep that works. how do you get the red area to show on the middle image.

Glad I could help and a little disappointed I couldn't get Automatic regions to grab this and run with it. That should nudge someone to explain to us both why. 😉

Click on the Preview Chains before accepting the chains you have selected or you can click on it anytime in the Toolpath Type Page. 😀

19 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Glad I could help and a little disappointed I couldn't get Automatic regions to grab this and run with it. That should nudge someone to explain to us both why. 😉

Automatic only allows Full chains and solid faces. I think they are trying to do too much and here is a situation where the ability to pick partial edges like I did should be an option. I guess if that is the set in stone direction for automatic there there will always have to be the back up way of doing what I did in this file. I will be submitting this to QC to get an official answer. Thank you for putting up the file helped me learn some of the limits of Automatic chaining in 2D HST toolpaths.

image.png.d8f7b581810b6a6e47c9f02a08f45c8c.png