Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify doesn't reflect Reality for 5 Axis Curve Toolpath

parallax7761@comcast.net

The tool did not pull out, that was the first thing we checked. Also ran another and it looked just the same. The program is COR of the 5th axis and the part is where it should be. Although the code would have been much simpler if the part was oriented with the feature to be cut matching the center of 5th axis rotation (would have just been B axis rotations with a static Z but right now it's B axis rotations with many Z moves). I did notice when digging through the g code that it seems like some portions of the code have the same B degrees with a matching Z but other portions seem to have the same B with different Z's.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The tool did not pull out, that was the first thing we checked. Also ran another and it looked just the same. The program is COR of the 5th axis and the part is where it should be. Although the code would have been much simpler if the part was oriented with the feature to be cut matching the center of 5th axis rotation (would have just been B axis rotations with a static Z but right now it's B axis rotations with many Z moves). I did notice when digging through the g code that it seems like some portions of the code have the same B degrees with a matching Z but other portions seem to have the same B with different Z's.

Something is not where is should be and that is really going to be the work is figuring out what and where that difference is. I will look at the file as time permits, but my guts tells me the programming is correct so we are going to find the issue either in the Post or machine. Since you have verified the tool that leaves only those two options.

• Like 1

For the hell of it I tried using the generic haas 5 axis machine instead of the one our reseller customized for us. I found both G codes had matching B and Z values, the code was not identical but every B75.3 for example had the same Z's at the same points in the program. Which leads me to question whether it's even post related...Another thing I thought I would post a picture of what the Toolpath lines look like in the graphics window. It's like you can see the problem in the blue TP lines but they don't show up in verify... Anyway I really appreciate when people of your caliber have time to help with my problems, thank you. 

tp lines.png

12 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

For the hell of it I tried using the generic haas 5 axis machine instead of the one our reseller customized for us. I found both G codes had matching B and Z values, the code was not identical but every B75.3 for example had the same Z's at the same points in the program. Which leads me to question whether it's even post related...Another thing I thought I would post a picture of what the Toolpath lines look like in the graphics window. It's like you can see the problem in the blue TP lines but they don't show up in verify... Anyway I really appreciate when people of your caliber have time to help with my problems, thank you. 

tp lines.png

Well I was wrong it is a programming mistake. The surface you are driving the 1st toolpath from is not a solid surface. It must be a solid surface where it is cutting. You have 2 options you make a surface from the solid and untrim it or copy the solid to a new level and use model prep to have a solid surface that represents that floor to drive the toolpath from. That really only solves part of the problem. Since you are using curve 5 Axis you need curves for each pass trying to use multi pass in a situation like this is also creating another issue since there the curve is trying to project to is far enough away it is skewing the tool into the part. When you backplot the toolpath and turn on vectors you can see the issue plain as day. Since there is open areas where you are trying to cut there is not surface there to drive the normal of the tool so the toolpath is trying to keep normal a distance away from the cutting are. That is making the tool move weirdly and create the cut your seeing on the part. I wouldn't use Curve 5 axis to cut this shape in 2019.

I would use Roughing and offset and you will see much better results for both operations. Here is the file back with that added to both pockets to see what you think. Play with the setting to get the cut you want and go from there. I dumbed down the solid on 2 levels to show you how I would go about it.

5th Axis Reality

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Thank you that is very helpful and informative. Sadly I do not have any other 5 axis toolpaths available to me but 5 axis curve at the moment, but I am using this as an example of why our company definetely needs a more robust 5th axis package. I did do some model prep to close the one window to have a control surface in that area. Since Curve 5 axis is my only option I will to create offset curves for each pass instead of relying on multi pass I suppose. Will I be able to open the file you made if I only have Curve 5?

16 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thank you that is very helpful and informative. Sadly I do not have any other 5 axis toolpaths available to me but 5 axis curve at the moment, but I am using this as an example of why our company definetely needs a more robust 5th axis package. I did do some model prep to close the one window to have a control surface in that area. Since Curve 5 axis is my only option I will to create offset curves for each pass instead of relying on multi pass I suppose. Will I be able to open the file you made if I only have Curve 5?

Yes I think you will need to make offset curves for each pass and I think that will help you get the toolpath doing what you need.

Agree and doing this in 2022 would have been simple fast and could do it to the native solid with no issues. This would eliminate the model prep.

44 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Wait so 2022 could do this easily even without me having anything more than Curve 5 Axis? the only reason I did this in 2019 was for X+ setup sheets since I haven't bought them yet. How about 2021 I already have that one installed? 

2022 has the unified 5 axis not 2021, but you have to have the full 5 axis license to access it. I am not you can use it since you don't have a full 5 Axis license. If that is the case then you would still be stuck with just curve 5 Axis if I understand correctly what your company purchased. Need to reach out to your reseller and see what you have available with your current license. If you had the full 5 Axis license then what I gave you as the option would have worked. Your company is not stepping up to the current version because of X+? It is not very expensive and Gunther needs to earn a living just like the rest of us.

No I just haven't had a chance to speak with management about purchasing them yet, I don't want to stop Gunther from earning a living. 

My company is cheap though they had let Mastercam Maintainence lapse before i started because someone convinced them Gibbs was best. That guy was head programmer and he just recently quit out of nowhere. Hopefully now that that has happened they will invest some more with Mastercam and Gunther included. It was pretty hard to convince them to get back maintainence when you have to back pay for the years you did not have it, Luckily reseller eventually offered a discount since I kept getting quotes that my company would ignore then finally there was an end of year sale or something that swayed them.

• 2 weeks later...