Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alternatives for creating this toolpath.

JB7280

8 minutes ago, neurosis said:

Yes.   I pasted it in to one of my posts based on MPMaster and it didn't output the cutter comp g-codes. 

I'm not sure if I missed something? 

You are using this operation ?

TP_SRF_FIN_CONTOUR                    ,    //= 15        //!< multi-surface finish contour

im giving it a try\

21 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Surface Finish Contour

SHS - Waterline

Use a 2D boundary above, and use surfaces to drive the path itself. Don't select any "floor surfaces", or the fillet radius surfaces, unless you've got a corner radius which is smaller than any fillets on the corners.

The Surface Finish Contour or Waterline path will "slice" the walls, and create contour passes at each of these slices. Use the "Gap Settings" with SFC to give yourself "entry/exit" lines.

The one pain about this; you won't get the option to use Cutter Compensation.

Unless...

You hack the Post. 😎

plin0$           #Linear movement, mill motion test
      if tool_op$ = 15,
        [
        if cstart$ = 1,
         [
         if cc_computer$ = 41, cc_pos$ = 1
         if cc_computer$ = 42, cc_pos$ = 2
         ]
        if cend$ = 1, cc_pos$  = 0
        ]
      pmotion_su

Note > This hack will only work with Surface Finish Contour (tool_op$ = 15).

Make sure you use the Entry/Exit Arc/Line options, and set your Cutter Comp to "wear".

Also, use "allow arc/line outside boundary"!

If you don't use "Line/Arc Entry/Exit" options, then the Contour Flags basically "come on at the start", and "turn off at the end", meaning you don't get CC on/off for each pass. (Probably won't work on most machines...)

what's pmotion_su?

In the spirit of "just get it done", I made some wireframe geometry and used a 3d contour toolpath.  Maybe not the best, or most efficient way of making the toolpath, but it worked, and was probably the best that stupid long tool has sounded!!!   

I do still plan to play around with the suggestions in this thread to see if i can do it better next time.  

Not sure why, but suddenly all my screenshots have been too large to attach.  

https://imgur.com/edklEQi

• Like 1
3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

what's pmotion_su?

Inside the "Generic Fanuc 4X Mill Posts" (of which MPFan is part of that family), there is a "motion setup routine".

'pmotion_su' is the motion setup Post Block. It is used to determine "is this a 4X or 3X cut"? If it is 3X, then xout, yout, and zout get loaded by the NCI XYZ variables. If the motion is 4X, we look to see what the output type is (rotary conversion or polar).

This block is essentially used to "load values" into output variables.

This is why it is called in "plin0$" < which is itself a "pre output Post Block". Here, we are setting all of the "current values" for variables.

Inside MP, we have modality, which looks at the "current value" and "previous value" of a variable, during output. If the current does not equal the previous, we get output. (and MP does the cleanup work of "updating the previous value" of the variable).

2 hours ago, neurosis said:

It's working.  Byte tipped me off.  I was using the shs waterline rather than the surface finish contour path.

😎 Awesome! I figured maybe MPMaster was doing something to mess with 'cc_pos$', but it turns out not to be the case.

The limitation of SHS Waterline, is you don't get to use Line/Arc Entry Exit, and you don't get to tell it to use "wear comp" or "left/right", like you do with Surface Finish Contour...

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

What this does show, is the great fact that there is always 3,4, or more ways of achieving the same end goal.

Most definitely, that's why I like to ask how someone else would do it.  Chances are there's a better way, no matter how you're doing it.  

• Like 3