Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File growing very large

Jaz

Running MC2022

I have a part file that has grown to about 190,000 MB so when I began programming fixtures for the part I saved as a new file and deleted everything except the fixture geometry. When I saved it it grew to 220,000MB. So I went back in and deleted more stuff. When I saved it had grown to 360,000MB.  So I deleted everything except 2 lines.  It is now 330,000MD.

What is happening and how can I fix it?

I cannot share the file.

49 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Has something to do with copy and paste.  Whenever I copy any entity from one of those files and paste it, it comes with a large amount of baggage of some sort that I can't see.

File repair does nothing

Delete any Groups.

Run 'Remove History' on every imported or merged Solid. (Anything copied and pasted.)

Run Solid Simply on everything.

Run Remove History again.

Then, run Repair File when you are done.

• Like 3

Deleting the history of a solid does not delete the solid, it converts it into a "body".  It only deletes how the solid was constructed.  With Model Prep, this usually won't be a problem because you can manipulate your solid if you need to change anything.  I would make a copy of the solid just in case something goes wrong.  Once you have a good clean model, delete the copy.

• Like 1

Been there done that, worked with QC they acted shocked!!!! Started happening in 2021, way less problems with 2022 but it happens. I have deleted everything including machine group and still 200+KB.... So far the biggest one we have in the shop is 620,000 KB. Its now a competition..... So my work around is after you are done designing and model preping everything, save all of your solids as a parasolid. Then open a new file and drag it over... Will drop to like 4k or what ever it should be... Then start toolpathing and your fine.. If you allready have toolpaths you are hoping to save you are Effed!!!! That 600000KB file we have takes 25 minutes to open... lol 

Edit: I have a bolt that I downloaded from Carr-Lane that is like a 160,000 KB, when u delete it and save it the file grows even bigger... An empty file. I could share it if someone wants to see how messed up it is, but I fear it might infect your system with what ever problem it is we have over here

20 minutes ago, motor-vater said:

Been there done that, worked with QC they acted shocked!!!! Started happening in 2021, way less problems with 2022 but it happens. I have deleted everything including machine group and still 200+KB.... So far the biggest one we have in the shop is 620,000 KB. Its now a competition..... So my work around is after you are done designing and model preping everything, save all of your solids as a parasolid. Then open a new file and drag it over... Will drop to like 4k or what ever it should be... Then start toolpathing and your fine.. If you allready have toolpaths you are hoping to save you are Effed!!!! That 600000KB file we have takes 25 minutes to open... lol 

Edit: I have a bolt that I downloaded from Carr-Lane that is like a 160,000 KB, when u delete it and save it the file grows even bigger... An empty file. I could share it if someone wants to see how messed up it is, but I fear it might infect your system with what ever problem it is we have over here

Exactly what I am seeing.

If I copy and paste anything from the file it comes with 150,000KB of invisible baggage

Deleting everything does not delete the invisible baggage

I am looking through the file to see if I can find an evil solid, no luck so far

At this point my work around is to not use anything from the bad files, which is a bit of extra work to re-model some fixtures and stuff from scratch

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 12:02 PM, So not a Guru said:

No, on the View tab, turn on "Groups". Delete those groups.

I have a level that has entities that don't show on screens but when I try to clear/delete entities on that level the software crashes.. Does this process fix that?

SO NOTHING WORKS. I have removed hidden entities and deleted everything from the file and resaved and it still grows, with absolutely nothing in it lol....

Model prep - remove history - save some - parasolid - open new file - import parasolid file - save as mastercam file. Then I have a clean file...... Back to old file, export toolpaths - save them someplace, back to new file - import toolpaths - start playing connect the dots. File now saves at 10,000KB..... Sip coffee - contemplate life choices that got me here - accept the fact FML - move on... Thats my process for saving these files...

56 minutes ago, gcode said:

What is the original source of these models.?

Are you importing them into Mastercam directly or using a translator

I think you have a bunch of blanked surfaces and solids that came in with your original import

So originally I thought it was the Catia files that are converted to STP, But more often then not its models that I built and Model prepped in Master cam that do it.... I probably abuse Model prep more than I should in fixture design....

On 9/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jaz said:

if I copy and paste anything from the file it comes with 150,000KB of invisible baggage

Don't copy paste... use Save Some, select your dumb solid, and choose X_B from the file dropdown...

that should leave the baggage behind