Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File growing very large

Jaz

motor-vater,

You said "An empty file. I could share it if someone wants to see how messed up it is" a couple posts ago.

If you want to email it to me ([email protected]) I'll take a look.

If it's too big to email, I could send you a link where you could upload it for me

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

motor-vater,

You said "An empty file. I could share it if someone wants to see how messed up it is" a couple posts ago.

If it's too big to email, I could send you a link where you could upload it for me

Yes way to big to email and would probably take an hour to upload to the FTP server. I have been this route before with C Howard. Not to say I wont drag you into it I just need to find something more manageable to share. I sent C Howard a bolt in 2021 that was 145,000KB, and he could not figure it out, but when dragged into 2022 it was good. I will definitely share a file but first I got to find something that I can actually send. I will try to send this one too and see how it goes

57 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

motor-vater,

yes empty as in delete all tool paths, machine groups, solids, wire frame, hidden wireframe, planes, levels, etc... Resaved and it was still huge, might have even grown more......

did these models start life as a metric file?

I once used a metric model of a 2" button cutter to define a tool

the resulting tool  crushed my 30 meter gantry mill like Godzilla stepping on a building. 😮

Maybe something funky is going on  converting metric to english and the models are 

defined with a .0001" resolution ???

how are you converting them from step to mcam??

Pete we are attempting to send one of the big ones to the file share, fingers crossed. Just for a time frame reference, this all started for us in 2021 when we all downloaded the service pack that got immediately recalled. All though we did clean installs after that and put the repaired service pack update on our systems, we started having problems... So its been with us for a minute, but oddly we did not seem to have problems in 2022 tell around the time we got the first update. Not trying to say anything, just stuff for the round table to discuss..

3 minutes ago, gcode said:

did these models start life as a metric file?

I once used a metric model of a 2" button cutter to define a tool

the resulting tool  crushed my 30 meter gantry mill like Godzilla stepping on a building. 😮

Maybe something funky is going on  converting metric to english and the models are 

defined with a .0001" resolution ???

how are you converting them from step to mcam??

No, but maybe some, we deal with all kinds around here but this issue seems to not have a pattern of predictability...

18 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

But we digress.... 😗

Anyway... it does look 'groups-related' but I don't see anyway to clean it out from within Mastercam ... I've gotten the attention of a couple of the developers here who know that area much better than I do, so we'll see.

Funny I have been screaming groups is the issue for a lot of these things going back to X4 days, but never seem to get anywhere with it. QC has a Tool Holders file with well over 100 groups in it from all the KM4X63 holders I imported into it to dumb down for MT. I got well over 100 additional planes added to that file. Guess what I suspect is the culprit in that one?

GROUPS!!!!!

• Like 1

We've made some progress with this file ... it appears that that groups are being created due to the presence of 3D HST selections and the way the saved data has been updated from one version of MC to another.
More work continues to be done on it, but it looks like it should be under control for MC 2023.
Thanks for sending the file in.

And ...

it looks like crazy^millman is seeing lots of unexpected planes because the STEP importer will import them ... typically any plane whose name begins with "STEP_" probably came in that way. Likewise for planes with names that begin with "CATIA_" or "NX_".

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

t looks like crazy^millman is seeing lots of unexpected planes because the STEP importer will import them ... typically any plane whose name begins with "STEP_" probably came in that way. Likewise for planes with names that begin with "CATIA_" or "NX_".

I've noticed that when I am working with 3D lathe tools, I sometimes get dozens of new planes in the planes manager

They have never caused problems I just delete then when I'm done working with 3D tools