Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Modell and OptiRough eating all my time

Tegheim83

I'm having trouble that regenerate Stock Modells, and also Using those for OptiRest is taking all my time.

What is the best, or fastest way to create several stock models in a part?

For example, I get a *.STP/STEP from my client.

I start with a billet stock, and the starts with a bigger tool cutting weight of with OptiRough
Then I make a stock model, and a new OptiRest with a smaller tool, and then maybe repeat once more.

In my latest part I have 6 or 7 stock models, and the file is kind of heavy now.
Regen takes ages, and I only trying to use STL's as stock, as "one other op", or "use all earlier.." will not manage to get a result.

Any tips and trix are welcome!

Using Mastercam 2022.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz - 64GB RAM
Quadro P2000

I am currently working on a part and the Mastercam file is over 100Mb. Not huge but pretty big. I think I have 8 stock models and about 750,000 lines of code. That is a lot of data to crunch. Your graphics card looks like it can handle that, and you clearly have enough RAM. I was regenerating a 5 axis finishing stock model and it took about 30 minutes and it bogged my whole system down. It wasn't happening previously, so I nuked that operation and re-created the stock model. Regeneration time is about half of what it was. I don;t know why.

Similarly, in certain multiaxis toolpaths you can change a parameter and it throws off your toolpath motion completely. Rechanging the parameter back to its previous value doesn't fix the now screwed up toolpath. In that case, my best bet is to nuke the toolpath and create a new one. Very frustrating.

What are your tolerance bands on the stock models? Sometimes bumping that up to 0.01" will speed things way faster. Make sure "mill flutes only" is checked on.

What is your RAM usage set to? Ideally you'd have 75%. Hardware acceleration turned on?

image.png.864680fcd09b58e1c4fd7615c1bf1d59.png

image.png.11e6e82acc16e00d358f6d7d66177e4c.png

For big complex files, I save Verify sessions as STL and use them to create stock models

You lose the associativity  of toolpath derived stock models but the payback is smaller files

and file stability . Nothing is more frustrating than having a big file go dirty because you changed an insignificant 

setting on an operation 50 steps up the tree

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gcode said:

For big complex files, I save Verify sessions as STL and use them to create stock models

You lose the associativity  of toolpath derived stock models but the payback is smaller files

and file stability . Nothing is more frustration than having a big file go dirty because you changed an insignificant 

Is there any pros/cons to using verify STL's versus generating a mesh from the stock model?

3 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Is there any pros/cons to using verify STL's versus generating a mesh from the stock model?

an stl is an external file...BUT in doing so, especially in large files, it can assist with file performance as stock models, used in qty for different ops tend to bloat file size fairly quickly

Just now, JParis said:

an stl is an external file...BUT in doing so, especially in large files, it can assist with file performance as stock models, used in qty for different ops tend to bloat file size fairly quickly

Yes, for example saving STL from OP 1 and setting that up as your source stock for a Stock Model toolpath will generate a lot faster than if you were using a previous stock model as the source. Currently doing that very thing and it makes it way easier

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JParis said:

ah, I've been creating a mesh from my stock model, assuming it was as efficient as using an STL.  I'll have to try the STL's and see if it helps any.

16 hours ago, Metallic said:

I am currently working on a part and the Mastercam file is over 100Mb. Not huge but pretty big. I think I have 8 stock models and about 750,000 lines of code. That is a lot of data to crunch. Your graphics card looks like it can handle that, and you clearly have enough RAM. I was regenerating a 5 axis finishing stock model and it took about 30 minutes and it bogged my whole system down. It wasn't happening previously, so I nuked that operation and re-created the stock model. Regeneration time is about half of what it was. I don;t know why.

Similarly, in certain multiaxis toolpaths you can change a parameter and it throws off your toolpath motion completely. Rechanging the parameter back to its previous value doesn't fix the now screwed up toolpath. In that case, my best bet is to nuke the toolpath and create a new one. Very frustrating.

What are your tolerance bands on the stock models? Sometimes bumping that up to 0.01" will speed things way faster. Make sure "mill flutes only" is checked on.

What is your RAM usage set to? Ideally you'd have 75%. Hardware acceleration turned on?

image.png.864680fcd09b58e1c4fd7615c1bf1d59.png

image.png.11e6e82acc16e00d358f6d7d66177e4c.png

In metric, I have tolerances set on 0.05mm.
I only use STL-files, so don't know if "Mill flutes only" help me.

I have changed Memory Buffering fron 50% to 75% now. It's says 49088.55MB at 75%.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, gcode said:

and file stability . Nothing is more frustrating than having a big file go dirty because you changed an insignificant 

I only use external STL's saved from verify as well.
Trying to generate a Stock using prevoius op's will not work. Have had it standing still for over night just trying.

What does the "only mill flutes" really do?

8 hours ago, Tegheim83 said:

I only use external STL's saved from verify as well.
Trying to generate a Stock using prevoius op's will not work. Have had it standing still for over night just trying.

What does the "only mill flutes" really do?

Hum I have done some 400 to 1800 ops parts over 1.5gb in size and not had to wait like your waiting. I will loosen the tolerance greatly depending on the size of the part and its features. I will also section stock model for certain areas and also not pick a whole solid for toolpaths. These greatly slow down Mastercam if you make the process to complex it will slow to a crawl.

• Like 2