Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building tool holder question

MetalSlinger5

this one has me stumped....

I am building a slitting saw arbor/holder in MC2022 tool manager, this issue I am stuck on is the nut for the slitting saw. I can build the holder but how do I handle the nut that holds the saw by the ID? I could build in the saw and the nut, but that would cause a problem during verify, MC & Vericut would consider the saw as part of the holder and cause a "collision"

only other option I see would to leave the nut out of the equation and attach the saw as an assembly, but this option will eliminate the nut, thus not representing the actual tool in MC 7 Vericut.  

Capture.PNG.ecb3464d7300229f3631eb703a793a29.PNG

You can always define the slitting saw as a normal Slot tool, (with no nut) and then use the Import Geometry from File button on the Define Tool Geometry page and draw in a model of the tool that includes the nut on the bottom. The toolpath is calculated off of the yellow parametric tool definition of the slotting tool, but the Green imported geometry will be shown in Verify/Simulation so you can check the nut clearance. There's nothing any toolpath would be able to do to calculate clearance against the nut anyway during path generation, so this gives you the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

sawcutter.jpg.12d1ee7e5526cfbe58632bff6059608c.jpg are you talking about a cutter like this? If so, I created it in the Toolpaths\Tool Manager. I don't remember how I did it as it was a couple of years ago, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in. My reseller had to coach me on it. It took us half a morning to figure out, and it's the only tooling I had to do in that place. For some reason it does the tools differently than the outside tool manager or the one inside the ops manager. Oh, it does verify and simulate correctly for us, We set the tool offset to the top of the teeth, and the nut is on the bottom as you can see.

As Chally explained this is done drawing slitting saw+nut profile on a Mastercam level (or saving it in a .dxf dile) then using import geometry in tool manager.

You'll need to draw slitting saw above X axis and nut below X axis.

However, if you look at tool picture in assembly (cyan color), nut will be considered as cutting edges in verify and it won't report any collisions (it will remove material instead). 

Raw importing in Vericut will do the same but you can manually tweak and define your assembly correctly using this scheme:

holder adapter(holder component)

slitting saw(milling tool)

nut(holder component)