Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curve Solid

Jespertech

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. You're trying to take a flat part and turn it into a bent part? Taking the stretch into account when being metal is something Mastercam is not good at. I can make the solid from what you have there, but will be exactly like the part when bent. No it will not. You have 1.00R one way and then back with a .50R the other way both of those bends will stretch the material a certain amount again if that is what your trying to accomplish.

Maybe this is what your trying to accomplish.

Projected Curve Solid to Surface

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, the part itself is just a flexible mounting bracket so dimensionally we've got a mile. It was more of a lesson for myself in the modeling capabilities of MC. I'm a sucker for making solids even when it isn't necessary and this was a good challenge for the day.

I ended up extruding the 2d profile and then created wireframe on offset planes to cut out the rest of the shape. There are some spots around the rads' that may not be perfect but I think overall it'll work.

It would be nice if eventually they can integrate a system where you can translate/project solids around solids to shape different profiles.. I may be getting dangerously close to  SW works territory now though 😅.

CURVE SOLID.mcam

37 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Once you get a curved surface like Ron created you can trim it to the curves. Then create a solid from the surface, then use thicken to get the thickness you need. 

This was the "aha!" moment I needed, thanks for taking the time to add that. I've used the solid from surface feature before but failed to modify it with "thicken" so I never saw  much purpose. But that just eliminated all the extra steps I was hoping to avoid. This is gunna save me a lot of time with future projects.

• Like 1